Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How do YOU repair a puncture on the trail?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Oilspill

Re: How do YOU repair a puncture on the trail?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 11:49:03 am »
My 2cents worth....

Yes try not to get flats in the first place,  make sure your tyres are in good order, that you have heavy duty tubes and don't let the tyre pressure down too far for off road.  I find 2 bar works perfectly for sand/mud/snow/gravel.  Never had a flat as yet after over 35 000 kilometers in the tankwa/cederberg/etc
If you get a flat make sure you are riding with someone like Andy660 who can change a tyre in a flash....unfortunately he has now moved to the UK, so that's a bummer.

Have spare tubes in your kit, a compressor, and have a good set of bead breakers on hand,  so you do not scratch the rim and it's a lot easier.  Also make sure you have the right Alan key for the front axle if need be and the right spanners for the rest.   A centre stand works a treat but there are other ways around this, such as putting a rock under the back suppression after you have pushed the bike up off into the air on its side stand.    Some carry a modified piece of a crutch to hold the wheels in the air on the side stand. 

Make sure you put all the bits in order as you take them off, and check which way the tyre/rim goes as some tyres only go on one way.   Don't drop the brake calipers in the dirt once they are unbolted. If you have a tube  don't bother carrying gunk to try and seal a flat. Never seen it work on a tubed tyre.    ALso carry some tube patches in case you pinch the new tube and need to fix one of them.   Oh and don't try and rush the job, cause you are just going to pinch a tube putting it back on and then you have to do it all over again.

Finally do not be scared of flats, they are an adventure in themselves and lead to some very interesting memories, such as the one time in Vermarklikheid when the guy I was riding with had forgotten his alan key and we ended up in a farm workshop making one ...hysterical, or the time in the middle of the night when the same guy had a flat on the way home and ended up lost, us looking for each other, and eventually putting a temp fix in place and then finding a friendly face in a town near by to kuier and to use their workshop  (could not get the tyre to pop back onto the bead, so eventually had to push our little compressor to over 4 bar).   Lots of beers, good people, lessons learnt and fantastic memories have come from having a flat, but sure, don't try and get a flat.

So a flat is all part of the adventure, something you cannot avoid, someone is always going to go flat   Even tubeless tyres get flats and are not always straightforward and easy to fix, requiring a tube, new tyre, etc.     No matter what tyre I would always carry spare tubes, bead breakers, etc.   

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:12 am »
Very well spoken. I have made a few friends with a tyre problem...
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline mark250gp

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:28 am »
What are these bead breakers you speak of?

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 11:52:07 am »
Werk sit vir ktm ryers ook? Vra vir n vriend......

:'( :'( :'( :'( :imaposer: :imaposer:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 11:55:20 am »
What are these bead breakers you speak of?

Andy makes bead breakers,  he supplies  Flying brick...https://flyingbrick.co.za/product/beadmaster-bead-breaker/

Very good quality and price...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:56:10 am by Oilspill »

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 12:51:54 pm »
I had my share of flats in my time. Never used a beadbreaker,soapy water etc out in the bush. I am a fat fucker   and could always break the bead
just by stomping with my boots mostly.  Piece of tarp to work on ,2 short tyre levers,small compressor worked most of the time for me. Got caught out
with very old patches and glue in the kalahari once which left me stranded with only a bottle of sweetwine and no water. Some trips are just like that  :sip:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 01:04:48 pm »
I like that crutch idea but don't fully understand the process and how stable is it? Where on the bike do you lock it in position so that it does not slide out or damage the bike?
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline McKracken

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2020, 01:21:27 pm »

Use the sidestand as your bead breaker.

I've always wondered how one does this with the wheel off the bike? I suppose if you're not using a centre stand, and you have the bike propped up on the sidestand, you might be able to lift the bike enough to get the wheel under the sidestand? Guess you'd have to make sure whatever you're using to prop the other side of the bike up is strong enough to take the full weight of the bike if you manage to life the other side off the sidestand (200kg +?)

For me: bike on the centre stand, and move luggage so the offending wheel is off the deck.
 Remove wheel, and put down the side stand.
Carefully tip the bike over so the side stand is pushing on the tyre close to the rim, and use the weight of the bike to break the bead.
Managed to break the infamous E07 alone this way, took 2 tries but it does work

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 01:45:00 pm »

Use the sidestand as your bead breaker.

I've always wondered how one does this with the wheel off the bike? I suppose if you're not using a centre stand, and you have the bike propped up on the sidestand, you might be able to lift the bike enough to get the wheel under the sidestand? Guess you'd have to make sure whatever you're using to prop the other side of the bike up is strong enough to take the full weight of the bike if you manage to life the other side off the sidestand (200kg +?)

Yeah I think the only way to break the bead with the side stand is if the bike has a center stand.

That being said I have not changed a tire yet  :peepwall:     (Good or bad...?? time will tell)
Carpe bm

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 02:15:57 pm »
I like that crutch idea but don't fully understand the process and how stable is it? Where on the bike do you lock it in position so that it does not slide out or damage the bike?

Its very stable if done properly.      Process I have used is:
1. Put the bike on the side stand
2.  Get a friend ready with the rock, axle stand, crutch etc to put under the bottom of the engine, back shock linkage, somewhere strong and stable.  Think they put the crutch under the right hand side footpeg sometimes.   
2.  Walk around to the right hand side of the bike and push the right handlebar away from you with your right hand.  The front wheel will move left, keep pushing on the handlebar and the bike will rise up on the side stand away from you.  When the  back tyre is nicely off the ground, place axle stand, crutch etc in a stable position under the motor/ back shock/etc,  and the back wheel will remain off the ground when you bring the bike down onto the crutch.   Warning -   If you have a BMW the side stand might bend but for most bikes this is not a problem (Only a joke guys, just for you 2SD to help him feel better)
I used this method all the time, by myself with my suzuki 650, in the garage just to lube the chain.   Just put an axle stand near the shock mount, when the back tyre was off the ground use your foot to push the axle stand under the shock mount and gently let the bike down again.   It's amazing how the bike is balanced on the side stand like this.  Doesn't take much effort to do.

The crutch thing can also be used, with a centre stand, to keep the front wheel off the ground.   With the bike on the centre stand, push down on the back of the bike, when the front wheel is off the ground, place the crutch under the belly pan, somewhere strong,  to keep the front wheel off the ground.

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 02:26:43 pm »

2.  Get a friend ready with the rock, axle stand, crutch etc to put under the bottom of the engine, back shock linkage, somewhere strong and stable.  Think they put the crutch under the right hand side footpeg sometimes.   
2.  Walk around to the right hand side of the bike and push the right handlebar away from you with your right hand.  The front wheel will move left, keep pushing on the handlebar and the bike will rise up on the side stand away from you.  When the  back tyre is nicely off the ground, place axle stand, crutch etc in a stable position under the motor/ back shock/etc,  and the back wheel will remain off the ground when you bring the bike down onto the crutch.   Warning -   If you have a BMW the side stand might bend but for most bikes this is not a problem (Only a joke guys, just for you 2SD to help him feel better)
I used this method all the time, by myself with my suzuki 650, in the garage just to lube the chain.   Just put an axle stand near the shock mount, when the back tyre was off the ground use your foot to push the axle stand under the shock mount and gently let the bike down again.   It's amazing how the bike is balanced on the side stand like this.  Doesn't take much effort to do.

The crutch thing can also be used, with a centre stand, to keep the front wheel off the ground.   With the bike on the centre stand, push down on the back of the bike, when the front wheel is off the ground, place the crutch under the belly pan, somewhere strong,  to keep the front wheel off the ground.

Thanks, looks like I need an old crutch. I suppose you need the parts from both crutches (set) to get one adjustable stand.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Mikerider

• When in doubt....paint it black
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 02:40:33 pm »
For me: bike on the centre stand, and move luggage so the offending wheel is off the deck.
 Remove wheel, and put down the side stand.
Carefully tip the bike over so the side stand is pushing on the tyre close to the rim, and use the weight of the bike to break the bead.
Managed to break the infamous E07 alone this way, took 2 tries but it does work

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

I've had to remove E07's twice on my 800. The side stand works... I'm looking at doing the Sikaflex mod on the spokes to go tubeless. There are some posts on the and it seems to work well... The thread below helped me quite a bit with my 1st attempt.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=139196.0

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 02:42:27 pm »
We did it successfully on a 650GS with high temp silicone covered with tape and high temp superglue.

Working so far
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2020, 02:49:56 pm »
From my side.
I carry a ratchet strap in my toolkit, a good thing to have in many situations. I push the bike up close to a pole or something, swing the ratchet strap over the pole, tie onto bike and ratchet offending wheel off the ground.

I do all my tire changes at home, always use lots of Q20, it usually ensures that the tire comes off easily when I do it in the veld. But seriously, the important part is the home practice.
Oh, the MOST  important part of home practice is using the tools in your toolkit to change tires and fix punctures, that is where you notice if your kit is missing something.
That tool someone posted earlier, the valve puller? Don't leave home without it.
Always have a hand-pump as a backup.
When you start the puncture repair, take a deep breath, look around you and tell yourself - 'I am not in the office'. That makes things easier.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

The following users thanked this post: xrforlife

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 03:05:36 pm »

Thanks, looks like I need an old crutch. I suppose you need the parts from both crutches (set) to get one adjustable stand.

No just a single crutch. Will take close up pics of my crutch
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

The following users thanked this post: Clockwork Orange

Offline Mikerider

• When in doubt....paint it black
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2020, 04:18:51 pm »
We did it successfully on a 650GS with high temp silicone covered with tape and high temp superglue.

Working so far

See this thread by Malmoer:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=14946.0

And this by Prannas:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245498.0

Sikaflex seems to do the job well  :thumleft:

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 04:24:37 pm »
HD tubes are a waste of time, and only makes changing them a pain, I only use normal tubes, all the flats I've had HD tubes wouldn't have helped and they just add weight not a good thing on wheels
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:26:06 pm by Dirt Junkie »
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW, 2008 KTM 690, BMW G650Xchallenge

The following users thanked this post: subie

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 04:31:38 pm »
HD tubes are a waste of time, and only makes changing them a pain, I only use normal tubes, all the flats I've had HD tubes wouldn't have helped and they just add weight not a good thing on wheels

That might be true for you, I've had the opposite experience. Wonder why? I've had a few incredibly hard hits, in one case cutting a tyre with the tube remaining intact using HD tubes.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2020, 05:20:03 pm »
Plan 'A' - don't get punctures has worked very successfully for me over many years.

Plan 'B', depends which bike. My 650 has tubes and I carry new spares plus patches etc. My crutch consists of a piece of broomstick, the length carefully established by experiment.
There is a locating ring for it riveted to the bashplate which works for the front wheel. For the rear, it has to be located under a footrest, and the front has to be weighted down somehow.

Now, I've worked all of the above out in the garage at home, but never had to do it in the bush. I worry about that.  :-\

My 1150 is tubeless, and I have the repair kit of course. Simple if it's a simple hole, not a split or tear.

In the latter case it's plan 'C'. Sit and wait until help comes along, or I die of dehydration or exposure or predator attack.

Alternative to plan 'C' is to walk, depending on distance to civilisation and whether I can still remember how to navigate by sun moon and stars.

I depend a helluva lot on luck.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2020, 06:26:19 pm »
That pic of Subie's is bullshit ........................ no way you get a puncture in the shade.

Should be banned for that ..........................  :deal:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

The following users thanked this post: subie