Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Perspex vs Polycarbonate screen  (Read 634 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: Perspex vs Polycarbonate screen
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 09:02:06 pm »
I don't think BigE has to worry about bullets going through his screen. I know it's a German bike but, c'mon, we're all friends now.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Big E

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 04:45:16 pm »
I don't think BigE has to worry about bullets going through his screen. I know it's a German bike but, c'mon, we're all friends now.

Not according to Brexit.  :sip:
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline CliveG

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 10:22:34 pm »

Watch this and tell me, which is better to use.   

Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 04:46:43 pm »
I call BS on the lower penetration rate of Perspex.

Anti shrapnel shields are made out of lexan?
Lexan is a type of polycarbonate
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 05:00:18 pm »
So everyone agrees.......perspex is no good!!!
I made a perspex screen for my KLE , had a minor fall and that perspex shattered into shards that could kill a person.
That is the real problem when Perspex breaks it shatters into very sharp shards.

Those Shatterprufe rulers from when we were kids, they are made from Polycarbonate. They way those rulers break is how Polycarbonate goes. Also a stone will be deflected by a PC screen and will probably come straight through a Perspex screen.
I call BS on the lower penetration rate of Perspex.

The above videos show the truth of it. Interestingly yes various shops try and sell PC as Perspex. They don't understand the difference. Perspex will always shatter under impact. That is a nature of Acrylics. It is hard to mould as a result.

Perspex is a trade name for clear Acrylic sheet. It has the ease of manufacture and all the other advantages but also has all the disadvantages of Acrylic. Perspex will always shatter under impact or big deflections. That is a nature of Acrylics. It is hard to mould in complex shapes as a result. Its true advantage is its optically clear characteristic. On your car the speedo cover, tail-lights and most indicators are in Acrylic.

Polycarbonate is a a different material all together and is very good at ballistic protection.  It can be opaque like the BMW and Toyota Bumpers of the 80's. Or clear sheet as per Helmet visors etc. Nowadays car bumpers are in easier to produce PP but car headlights are PC.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 05:41:13 pm »
Polycarbonate is a a different material all together and is very good at ballistic protection.  It can be opaque like the BMW and Toyota Bumpers of the 80's. Or clear sheet as per Helmet visors etc. Nowadays car bumpers are in easier to produce PP but car headlights are PC.
and shit as they go cloudy within months... :sip:

I must add that mostly applies to Chinese PC... :sip: