• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1982 Honda XR 500R looking for a home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whethefakawe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Last chance saloon................

I have a 1982 Honda XR 5-00R ProLink that needs a home, only condition is YOU DON'T CHOP IT UP OR PART IT OUT.

My old bikesquad bro Patrick Devy died in Uganda a year ago May, it was his bike, he'd bought it from a friend /original owner who needed money urgently. It became mine when he died, obviously.
Bike sat at my brother's house while I was trying to figure out what to do with it., then HE went and died last month so either I give it to someone who'll appreciate it or else it disappears, africa-style.
He f**king lied to me, it has been stored inside including the last time I saw it 2 years ago........... but he moved it to a f**king awning over a driveway.. It's original and complete except for the speedo and sidestand..

Low-time, still has the original tyres on it as I recall.

It will need a major cleaning and service. Conrad says the cables are seized, so is the rear brake. Typical for old bikes, will need all seals and gaskets, tyres, tubes, petcock seals, chain, maybe a bearing or two - basically everything that's not steel. Ask me how I know.

The caveat is, IT'S NEVER BEEN REGISTERED. It was a plaasbike...PLOT bike, to be exact. My brother ran a VIN number and police check on it, it is NOT stolen or anything dodgy.

I knew the original owner, oke named Bevan in Rosettenville south of Joburg. Haven't seen him in 21 years.

The bike is at Conrad's place in Pretoria. (Runner). He wants to part it out but I'd prefer it stay in one piece.  So I'm paying him to keep it for a short while, just to see if anybody wants it.

I'd much prefer if either a vintage bike enthusiast, or someone on a farm who doesn't need a licence plate take it,clean it up and ride it. .

From having restored 12 bikes back to running condition over the last 2 years, including two of these, I can see from the attached photos that Conrad took, it's a good resto candidate.

Please contact Runner if you're interested.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2020-06-20-17-05-29.jpg
    PHOTO-2020-06-20-17-05-29.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 777
  • PHOTO-2020-06-20-16-53-26.jpg
    PHOTO-2020-06-20-16-53-26.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 771
  • PHOTO-2020-06-20-16-53-06.jpg
    PHOTO-2020-06-20-16-53-06.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 768