Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mig-Tig-Arc welder  (Read 271 times)

Offline morne950

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
Mig-Tig-Arc welder
« on: September 28, 2021, 07:22:02 am »
Hi Guys

Want to buy me a smaller welder for on site, have any of you guys have a Pinnacle Migarc 195 gas combo welder, and what do you think about it.
Just for normal day to day small welding jobs.
Cheers !

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Mig-Tig-Arc welder
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 08:53:06 am »
Base Model MiG welder - I am a Pinnacle agent as well, but their online prices are pretty good - all Mig welders do Arc and Scratch Tig, so while they are punting it, there is no TiG torch included, and the TiG function is not a peddle operation, so very basic.

If you are buying it as a Mig welder mainly, you will be fine, its a good machine - I would buy one.
If your are buying it for TiG functionality, you are going to be disappointed quite quickly.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline jogi_c

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 09:23:10 am »
Agreed. With the inverter models all the welders do stick anyway. So stick is not a consideration.

I have a very expensive welder that can do all 3, but they do all 3 very badly.

Decide what your primary welding method is going to be, and buy a machine that is good at that, go for a cheapy for the rest

Offline morne950

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 09:46:24 am »
Thanks Guys !

I do Tig with my normal inverter and all good , just thought it would be better to get one that can do bought for site.
I would need it mainly for the Mig section.
So do you guys think i must rather spend the money on just a Mig than a combo one !

Cheers !! 

Offline jogi_c

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 10:05:52 am »
Thanks Guys !

I do Tig with my normal inverter and all good , just thought it would be better to get one that can do bought for site.
So do you guys think i must rather spend the money on just a Mig than a combo one !

Cheers !!

In my opinion, get a dedicated machine. As I said, the inverter machines to stick in any case. If you go for a combo machine you end up with wire feeder extensions and all sorts of crap which end up being more bulky to get to site than a dedicated machine. and there is always the one thing that you forget to pack. And you end up with multi feeder and gas lines etc. And in my experience, you battle to get spares with the combo machines. The connectors are not industry standard, but specific to that make and model. So your Adendorfs etc will be quite happe to sell you the combo, but you will have to buy a ticket to China to keep it working

Been there, done that. 

Offline fixit

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 10:31:28 am »
I bought this one about two years ago and very happy with it. The TIG is trigger start, not scratch.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 10:41:02 am »
Thanks Guys !

Cheers !!

This MIGARC 195 as a site machine for MiG will be fine - has an integrated wire feed, takes 5kg reels, you will obviously need a bottle and a gauge, and off you go. It does normal stick Arc welding too, which is quite lekker for hard to reach places that you battle to get the bottle to (or use a LOOOONG gas line....)
As a TiG, its a scratch start, a basic operation - I wouldnt bother doing TiG with it.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!