Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Has anyone changed from a 1200GS to a 990 and regretted it?  (Read 4306 times)

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

Re: Has anyone changed from a 1200GS to a 990 and regretted it?
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2009, 08:23:04 am »

Then there is  the oft mentioned "grin factor" On the KTM I felt like a hooligan. On the BM I feel like an older man.

If I often feel like a hooligan on the 1200gs ...I presume I should stay far away from a 950/990...  ;D

Imagine the knobbly tarmac power slide you can do on the Katoom... the poor superbikers... ::)

;D

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline kejago

• Kev
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2009, 08:56:05 pm »
What was the name of the member that was banned on this forum a while ago???, Oh yes, JABO, if I'm not mistaken, he could do anything on his 990 - 220km/h on the back wheel in sand, standing on the saddle, and steering with only two fingers.  Might he be reincarnated as Shotgun......???    ::) ;D

Just a thought

Gee-Sh: I defnitely cannot do any of those things and I have no idea who Jabo is.

Jabo is still here. Thundermerwe is the latest incarnation... and before that we had Marco Polo. Bits and bytes from the same machine.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »
Friend of mine over here moved from the 1150 to the 990 about a year ago and loved it. Got a sms two weeks ago and saying guess what.......he sold the 990 for a mint 1150 ADV again  :o

I saw him the other night and probed a bit and it basically came down to service and running costs. The 990 will cost him in excess of £1000 per year the amount of mileage he does. He tried to service it himself but just to finicky and time consuming to do. The 1150 he can service himself and cost as little as £40 per service for the oils and filter. Even checking and adjusting the valves is a piece of piss on the beemers in regards to accessibility etc.

I then said yeah but what about the power and the actual ride performance. His answer is 990 - hooligan machine borderline suicidal which cost him a fortune on petrol as he rides the hell out of it. The 1150 he is back in cruising mode and the performance, ride and consumption much better for his pocket and his health. He also noted that the beemer was more solid and planted compared to the KTM. Please note this is mostly tar riding and no offroading so can't compare on that front I am sure.

As Chad said it all comes down to what you want to achieve out of the bike and whether you can afford it, he does not regret selling the KTM yet but still early days.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never give up.
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2009, 03:52:55 pm »
If you buy a KTM and only use it on tar you wasted +R120 000. Its like marrying your sister, the food is great, the sex good, but it just dont feel right, and if they catch you out, you will prop get donnered by the people living on this street.  Sies man, How must the poor KTM feel, "never been off road", sounds like a Quad advert..........
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2009, 06:05:16 pm »
If you buy a KTM and only use it on tar you wasted +R120 000. Its like marrying your sister, the food is great, the sex good, but it just dont feel right, and if they catch you out, you will prop get donnered by the people living on this street.  Sies man, How must the poor KTM feel, "never been off road", sounds like a Quad advert..........

I hear you chicco but remember we are talking life on the mud island, there is not the abundance of gravel nirvana in the UK you would expect there to be. The few parts that is left is blocked for 4x4 or motorcycles near 90%  :(

My HP2 has done well over 18500 miles but hardly 150 of that has been offroad  :o Makes one hell of a commuter in the city though  :deal:  :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2009, 08:06:32 am »
If you want a KTM for tar this is the one .......
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Butch

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2009, 12:03:16 pm »
A 1200GS friend just took my KTM for a spin, since he's in the market for a new bike.

We'll be seeing a new 990 Adv S on the road soon.

Will ask him in a month's time how he feels.
Live and let live.

Offline Gravel_Seeker

« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »
Well my wife's been riding mine since I got it so I had no option but to trade the GSA I still had for another 990 Katoom.... so now there are two  :mwink:
KTM 790R

Offline Shotgun

• Pack Dog
  • Chk Chk Boom!
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2009, 10:07:22 pm »
Come on guys, you cannot all be switching- one of these days who won't have any gs riders left to mock! :pot:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:18:02 am by Shotgun »
Another very informative post brought to you courtesy of The Gun. Impress your friends - Make it your own!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2009, 11:05:11 pm »
Come on guys, you cannot all be switching- one of these days who won't have any gs riders left to mock!

Please, come on guys buy KTM's, KTM's are as plenty full as delivery bikes and Vuka's nowadays, it took us a long time to convince oke's to move to KTM, don't stop it now.

You get toaster, dummies, shit scrapers, the grin factor, it's like the whole Harley hog image, lots of posing and not much riding.  :mwink: O0

Not far into the future the BMW's will be exclusive again, just the way it is suppose to be.  :biggrin:

PS. would be nice if you guys at least post some ride reports before you brand bash.  :mwink: :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:18:48 pm by michnus »

Offline Shotgun

• Pack Dog
  • Chk Chk Boom!
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2009, 07:28:58 am »
Come on guys, you cannot all be switching- one of these days who won't have any gs riders left to mock!
Please, come on guys buy KTM's, KTM's are as plenty full as delivery bikes and Vuka's nowadays, it took us a long time to convince oke's to move to KTM, don't stop it now.
You get toaster, dummies, shit scrapers, the grin factor, it's like the whole Harley hog image, lots of posing and not much riding.  :mwink: O0
Not far into the future the BMW's will be exclusive again, just the way it is suppose to be.  :biggrin:
PS. would be nice if you guys at least post some ride reports before you brand bash.  :mwink: :)

This is exactly what I will miss - pinching the very sensitive GS-nerve! :biggrin:

Not far into the future the BMW's will be exclusive again, just the way it is suppose to be.
Then they will have to ease off on selling lifestyles. For as long as you sell a lifestyle, you will attract the masses and anything can happen with the brand. Anyway, by the time that BMW becomes exclusive again, I will be 60 plus and a GS will suit me just fine! :thumleft:

:pot:
Another very informative post brought to you courtesy of The Gun. Impress your friends - Make it your own!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2009, 07:37:18 am »

This is exactly what I will miss - pinching the very sensitive GS-nerve! :biggrin:

Not far into the future the BMW's will be exclusive again, just the way it is suppose to be.
Then they will have to ease off on selling lifestyles. For as long as you sell a lifestyle, you will attract the masses and anything can happen with the brand. Anyway, by the time that BMW becomes exclusive again, I will be 60 plus and a GS will suit me just fine! :thumleft:

Now is maybe a good time to stand back and take a look at your brand.

KTM have passed BMW by miles on the lifestyle thing, you have the masses and they are growing, you are attracting the posers, you know, the okes with the power ranger suites and all the bling but never do the Race Ready rides? Then we never see RR's from them. You have the toasters, dummies, onderbroekies, orange play pakkies.  :thumleft:  :imaposer:

There's another brand with the same thing going? :scratch:

Yes,yes the halrey crowd.   :oscar:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:40:42 am by michnus »

Offline Shotgun

• Pack Dog
  • Chk Chk Boom!
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2009, 01:30:50 pm »

Now is maybe a good time to stand back and take a look at your brand.

KTM have passed BMW by miles on the lifestyle thing, you have the masses and they are growing, you are attracting the posers, you know, the okes with the power ranger suites and all the bling but never do the Race Ready rides? Then we never see RR's from them. You have the toasters, dummies, onderbroekies, orange play pakkies.  :thumleft:  :imaposer:

There's another brand with the same thing going? :scratch:

Yes,yes the halrey crowd.   :oscar:

Well I think you have your stats wrong BMW is still outselling KTM by far in the big DS category and with roadside assistance and the large dealer network this will luckily remain the case for a long time to come (if not forever).

Get over the ride report thing - the fact that people don't post it on this forum does not mean it doesn't happen. Some people just don't like to share their private lives with the world. Same reason why some people just don't like Facebook etc. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the ride reports and am very glad you get people (like yourself) who don't have an issue sharing them. :thumleft:

Most of my mates are on GS1200s, so I am outnumbered by far and I enjoy the friendly banter. That is why I don't want them to switch! :thumleft:  In terms of answering the question of this thread: The answer is a definite no - you won't find somebody who has regretted it. :thumleft:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2009, 02:10:44 pm »
Well there you go, and we can put this long thread to rest, the KTM is the boss of the BMW.  :thumleft:

The RR's tell me more about you as persons, that's why we share it, we often get request to only allow people into JouMa after they posted a RR, so people can get to know you. You have posted 90% of your posts in P&R and do a good jobs of brand bashing, call it tongue in the cheek, with no RR's, just using as an example.  It only leaves me to think you are more interested in stirrings shit that riding bike, if you get what I mean?  ;) :)

Since we started this site, we had to deal with the constant KTM/BMW thing, we just get it to die down then another few noobs start the shit all over again. What you basically do is tell another oke what a twatwaffle he was to buy his brand of bike. It's oaky when the 4x4 oke do it, but not when bikers do it. Many friends I made on the site buggered off because of this.

Peace :)  :thumright:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:37:47 pm by michnus »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2009, 02:22:46 pm »
Viva Brother Michnus....
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline Shotgun

• Pack Dog
  • Chk Chk Boom!
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2009, 05:02:14 pm »
Well there you go, and we can put this long thread to rest, the KTM is the boss of the BMW.  :thumleft:

The RR's tell me more about you as persons, that's why we share it, we often get request to only allow people into JouMa after they posted a RR, so people can get to know you. You have posted 90% of your posts in P&R and do a good jobs of brand bashing, call it tongue in the cheek, with no RR's, just using as an example.  It only leaves me to think you are more interested in stirrings shit that riding bike, if you get what I mean?  ;) :)

Since we started this site, we had to deal with the constant KTM/BMW thing, we just get it to die down then another few noobs start the shit all over again. What you basically do is tell another oke what a twatwaffle he was to buy his brand of bike. It's oaky when the 4x4 oke do it, but not when bikers do it. Many friends I made on the site buggered off because of this.

Peace :)  :thumright:

So this is how you roll: If someone disagree with you then then you make it personal? I have no intention to share my life with total strangers, so if that is a prerequisite to partcipate on this site then this is unfortunately not for me. :thumleft:

I don't know why you allow posting at all - everybody can just PM you because you seem to have ALL the answers.  :pot:

Anyway, I have better things to do - like riding where your bike won't be very comfortable! :thumleft:

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:14:43 pm by Shotgun »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2009, 05:14:44 pm »
Shotgun if you do not want to share your rides with us you might as well leave...
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2009, 05:22:49 pm »
Jeeze guys chill, have a hit on this bong and all will be sorted  >:D  ;) and some grass can be supplied aswell

Offline plonker

« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2009, 05:48:30 pm »
No Shotgun don't leave life will be boring without you.Remember the song we used to sing at athletics day............moenie worrie worrie worrie wat die anders se  :pot: