2015 V-Strom 650 upgrade Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJBotes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
So I had the privilege of blowing both front fork seals on my V-Strom 650.
Took the bike out for its first trip (new to me) to see if I like it and if I'm going to keep it. I took the gravel roads from Witbank to Verena , then Loskop , Tontoldoos and Dullstroom. Highway back to Witbank.
IMG-20230708-WA0013.jpg

I noticed that the fork seals are leaking between loskop and stofberg. This resulted in everything being covered in oil.
IMG-20230708-WA0010.jpg
Anyway I knew before buying the bike that if I keep it I will need to upgrade the suspension so this didn't bother me.

My decision after the trip is that I'm definitely going to keep it, but there will be some changes made:

"Must changes"
1. Suspension - Stronger linear springs front and rear , with the damping valves in front.
2. Seat needs more padding and needs to be flattened or opened up to allow me some space to move.
3. I will need to make a plan with the gear lever , I really struggle to change gears . There is not enough space to get my foot under the gear lever, so I change by hooking the gear lever with the side of the boot.
4. Tyres

"Nice to changes"
5. A handlebar with less sweep ( some more height will be nice to)
6. Lower foot pegs

(Before the trip I removed the big dark screen that I got with the bike and I installed some pit bike pegs.)

So getting back to point 1 and 3 -
Please point me in the direction of someone that can get me Racetech suspension parts.

Has anyone made some mods to the gear lever that allows more space between the pegs and the lever ?

Last question - Has anyone lengthened the damping rods on a 650 to allow sof some more travel and hight ?