Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Should I buy a Harley-Davidson?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Should I buy a Harley-Davidson?
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 11:06:42 am »
More posers on adventure bikes,that is the elephant in the room..........
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Copernicus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 11:11:15 am »
What a blast from the past the first few posts are.  And I could not help to notice that not much has changed over the years except for a few names... :peepwall:
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 11:26:52 am »
That trike - how does it handle? Dont trikes suffer from massive understeer due to the low weight on the front wheel?
Or am I crazy?

Understeer? It suffers from a lot more than that  :lol8:

When you first get on it, it doesn't want to steer at all. It feels less maneuverable than a quad. You have to steer it like a go-cart.
I rode it on both Tradouws Pass and Bainskloof Pass. The trick - it seemed to me - was to sit right up to the tank like on a motocross bike with your elbows bent. You then have to lean into a corner despite the trike not leaning at all so that the g-forces don't push your body to the outside of the turn. The front wheel feels very light but by leaning into the corner you can easily overcome the understeer.
What did surprise me was the sudden oversteer at the end of some corners - scary. And the outside wheel also lifts off the ground if you go into a corner too fast.

It's hillarious fun until you kill yourself. Obviously you're not supposed to ride it this hard though

Best of all is the donuts! Just pull the front brake and let rip. :biggrin: Just don't get carried away or it will fall over
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:38:36 am by LuckyStriker »

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2016, 12:07:07 pm »
It looks like a heap of fun though.

My very first "bike" was a Honda 80cc trike when I was +- 6 years old.

It's party trick was to crash straight into everything in it's path. To turn at anything above walking pace, you had to l put weight on the front and lean to the inside with your weight. And even then it sometimes went straight. Both back wheels were connected together (no diff), which added to the fun and danger.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2016, 12:28:28 pm »
With my own personal money, not as long as I have a hole in my ass will I buy one of the museum pieces. Functional only as a discussion piece for the lounge and at the pub when you explain to your mates that Americans build bikes in cubic inches.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog

Offline Single Cylinder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2016, 08:39:53 pm »
Got the money, want the bike, go for it    :thumleft:
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2016, 07:34:39 am »
I recently also got one...
its my old school muscle car of the bike world. Shitty suspension, handling and brakes but awesome to twist that throttle! I cant use the pispot or open face helmet though, the stupid ass grin on my face is a bit weird.
Also the first bike I will not only look for an excuse to go to town, but also take the long way there and back, twice.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline heinzz

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2016, 08:58:12 am »
its my old school muscle car of the bike world. Shitty suspension, handling and brakes but awesome to twist that throttle! I cant use the pispot or open face helmet though, the stupid ass grin on my face is a bit weird.
Also the first bike I will not only look for an excuse to go to town, but also take the long way there and back, twice.

I grew up on off road bikes and the thought of a HD never appealed to me. About 9 years ago I had some time to burn before a meeting and was wondering around in HD dealership and I saw a bike that I liked. Needless to say during the meeting and instant itch in my ass developed that needed to be scratched and I did just that later that day. The HD was my first ever street orientated bike ever and it grew on me. The first 3 months I did over 10,000km on it and since then only 20,000km at an ave of 2500km per year. I have bought and sold a few bikes in the last ten years but don't think I will ever sell the HD, not because it is a great bike but because it has a special place and function and pose value is not one of them.

Some people like them and others don't.

Ps. I have even made a few DS friends that does the HD thing now and then. :thumleft:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2016, 09:34:08 am »

I grew up on off road bikes and the thought of a HD never appealed to me. About 9 years ago I had some time to burn before a meeting and was wondering around in HD dealership and I saw a bike that I liked. Needless to say during the meeting and instant itch in my ass developed that needed to be scratched and I did just that later that day. The HD was my first ever street orientated bike ever and it grew on me. The first 3 months I did over 10,000km on it and since then only 20,000km at an ave of 2500km per year. I have bought and sold a few bikes in the last ten years but don't think I will ever sell the HD, not because it is a great bike but because it has a special place and function and pose value is not one of them.

Ps. I have even made a few DS friends that does the HD thing now and then. :thumleft:

Haha same here.
Mine was cheap, its easy to work on plus the carburettor is perfectly setup now, it starts first time even after a few weeks of standing. I also think I will never sell, it can stay there in its own corner just waiting for the occassional outing.

I also dont care much for the posing factor, but was shocked at how much more attention you get on a Harley vs on the GS. People will also mention my cool bike and I will always wrongly assume they are talking about the GS.

Another thing...people like referring to them as poser bikes...Mine have 80 000km on, if you want to comment on a Harley being a posers POS I sincerely hope you have more than 80000km on whatever you are riding, as otherwise the irony will be flying high....
(PS: My GSA has 78000km on...getting there)
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »
Been there got the T-shirt
never again most of the guys have no idea how to ride a bike they all midlife crisis riders with huge chips on there shoulders
 Most of them are financed to the hilt so they really cant afford the bike and bitch about everything

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 01:23:02 pm »
Personally I don't give a hoot what anyone rides, as long as they enjoy the ride, what I do give a hoot about is what I ride.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2016, 03:10:59 pm »
Buy a Jag.. you get a free Harley with it
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2016, 08:00:26 pm »

:sip: Ja, but, that's like standing in the que at `Woolies" waiting for your turn and buy all this crap they line the isle with, ne?
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline heinzz

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 08:38:16 pm »

:sip: Ja, but, that's like standing in the que at `Woolies" waiting for your turn and buy all this crap they line the isle with, ne?

sorry but I don't get your point, maybe still stuck in an isle somewhere :lol8:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:32:25 pm by heinzz »

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 08:49:19 pm »
 :biggrin: I'm trying to picture it in my mind. A motorcycle shop with a zigzag aisle leading to the till, lined with Harley Davidsons, elevated to eye level to tempt impulse buyers to grab one just before getting to the checkout.  :lol8:

Maybe do similar with BMW's in a Yamaha shop, what?  >:D
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Oubones

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 08:56:12 pm »
Personally I don't give a hoot what anyone rides, as long as they enjoy the ride, what I do give a hoot about is what I ride.
Agree, I am happy to see anybody ride any bike!
I ride whatever I have and enjoy it as it comes!
I do enjoy the dacar though I miss my two!
I have been after an old HD in a garage and shelves in togi for years, maybe one day!
It is a nice new model! :peepwall:
Somewhere in the 50's if I am right!
If successfully then I might have to learn to pose!
Me and Rissa at least did the BMW meerkat thing! Once!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:35 pm »
Is jou keyboard se uitroepteken nie al stukkend nie?
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline windswept

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »
This is like the Cruiser/Landy freds. If you dig it ride it. South Africans seem so opinionated. Life is so fuckin short.

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2016, 09:30:22 am »
Been there got the T-shirt
never again most of the guys have no idea how to ride a bike they all midlife crisis riders with huge chips on there shoulders
 Most of them are financed to the hilt so they really cant afford the bike and bitch about everything

Sorry Bronzy but you talking HD riders or GS riders?? No matter most are the same guy..........
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep