Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The number plate issue  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: The number plate issue
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »
My plate is legal...you cannot see the laser jammer, hehehehe, until they start to enforce road safety and not just a money making racket. between the zumo and the LJ they work overtime.

Which one do you have? I have in each of my vehicles, and one extra for my bike, but not fitted yet. I have the Laser Pro Park Unit from the States. Works with laser eyes, and not the led type like the Shifters etc.

My R1 has a flip up nr plate, sorry, will stay.
My FJR has a lekka oil stripe on the middle of the  plate which the rear tyre spun up, and there is now dust on it that I can't get off  :pot:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 10:09:02 pm »
Julle worry oor k*k. Stay legal.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:30 pm »
He he he, kan sien julle het nie in PE so baie kameras soos hier by ons nie!

Ek ry nie meer hard op die highway nie, maar daai 73kph in n 60 zone maak my dood. Die klein jakkalsies wat so seer byt. 3 tot 4 R150 fines n week is nie snaaks nie.....

Het op die Highway laasweek 7 laser kameras in n 12km stretch gekry. Dis bietjie hectic man  :mwink:

Offline Iron Shark

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 01:17:07 am »
He he he, kan sien julle het nie in PE so baie kameras soos hier by ons nie!

Ek ry nie meer hard op die highway nie, maar daai 73kph in n 60 zone maak my dood. Die klein jakkalsies wat so seer byt. 3 tot 4 R150 fines n week is nie snaaks nie.....

Het op die Highway laasweek 7 laser kameras in n 12km stretch gekry. Dis bietjie hectic man  :mwink:

That's wild man!!!   >:(
Kawasaki KH 175 - sold
Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - sold
BMW 1200 GS - sold
BMW 1200 GSA - loving it

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 05:41:50 am »
Metro in Centurion love speedtraps - there's one on every corner. And nowadays I can barely go out the front door without riding past a few of them pulling people off the road. Keep my bike legal and the speed down, it's the only answer.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 08:36:07 am »
Metro in Centurion love speedtraps - there's one on every corner. And nowadays I can barely go out the front door without riding past a few of them pulling people off the road. Keep my bike legal and the speed down, it's the only answer.

Without intending to load it on anyone, WD are legal; the contrary should not even be an issue.  We are good citizens -- keep it legal ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:36:58 am by Mzee »
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 08:51:17 am »
Number plate disaster
26/01/2009 08:53  - (SA)   

South Africa's traffic departments and metro police prove conclusively every day that, as Charles Dickens wrote 172 years ago, the law is an ass.

Not only that, but they have this arrogant, completely undemocratic notion that we poor motorists are guilty as sin until we spend a lot of time, effort and money proving that we are innocent.

I was talking a while back to a senior traffic cop in Pretoria who told me that one of the biggest problems today is the number of people driving around with false number plates on their cars. He said it amounted to "thousands and thousands".

What fascinates me is the way in which the traffic authorities have decided to handle this problem.

Quite simply, they have made it our problem and not theirs.

So, when you get a speeding fine through the post or for that matter a fine for anything else such as illegal parking, not having renewed your annual licence and so forth as a result of some knucklehead illegally using your number plate, it's no good just ignoring it.

Even if the number plate in question happens to be on your dirty old garden trailer and the photo on the speeding fine is a Ferrari, it doesn't help you to think that maybe somebody in the traffic department will notice. They won't.

And ignoring it will cost you dearly, because the fine will be lodged against your name and next time you go in to renew the annual licence for any one of the legal vehicles you own, it won't be issued until you have paid all the outstanding fines.

What you have to do is go to a police station, get them to sign your sworn affidavit that it is not your vehicle and that a false number plate is being used. Then, you have to fax it to either the traffic department or if you got a summons, to the clerk of the traffic court. Then you have to make a zillion phone calls to make sure they got the fax and that the fine has been taken off your name.

It is always a time consuming and costly exercise.

Make a note

So, if you go through all that, why, you might wonder, can't the traffic authorities just make a note on their computers so next time that idiot who has stolen your number plate gets caught speeding on a camera, they can see in a second that its the old false number plate story again and not give you uphill.

I know people who have received dozens of these false number plate fines and every time they have to go through the same rigmarole.

I asked that traffic cop in Pretoria why they couldn't just log things on their computers and this is what he said. Honestly, I am not kidding. "All the films from the camera speed traps go to Israel where they are processed and the fines printed out and air freighted back to South Africa where they are posted. So unfortunately, we can't do anything about it."

Ok, so maybe you are so angry you want to have your day in court? You want to stand up and tell a magistrate that the traffic cops are costing you an arm and a leg and for him to order them to stop it.

I have a friend who tried that a while back. When he got the summons, he entered a plea to defend and sent it to the magistrates court. On the appointed day he arrived at court in a temper and ready to say his piece. Eventually, the prosecutor came out and shouted to the waiting crowd; "anyone here for false number plates?"

My buddy put up his hand, showed his summons to the prosecutor who took it from him, scribbled "False Plate" on it and then told my mate that he could go home.

"I don't want to go home," he said, "I want my $#@&* day in court, don't tell me go home. I've been waiting three hours."

"Listen, meneer," said the prosecutor, "if I bring this case in front of the magistrate I will lose my job - he will bliksem me for wasting his time. Sorry pal, just go home and forget about it...."

So, the endless cycle continues and only stops once you have sold your vehicle and some other poor sap starts getting all the tickets. It doesn't even help to die.

Maybe there is a solution. I can't think of one but maybe you can.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 08:56:57 am »
Strict new number plate laws

Johannesburg - Vehicle owners countrywide will, by law, have to pop rivet or screw their number plates onto the body of their vehicle from January 1 2009.

Collen Msibi, spokesperson for the Department of Transport, said the new measures would make it more difficult for thieves to steal vehicles, and for vehicle owners to drive around with false number plates.

The department would require that every number plate be permanently fixed directly onto the panel of a vehicle with 4mm one-way screws or pop rivets, at all four corners.

The screws or pop rivets may not be further than 20mm from the edge of a number plate.

"This will make it a lot more difficult for criminals to remove a vehicle's number plate, and replace it with another.

"We believe that these little changes will make a big contribution towards reducing vehicle theft," Msibi said.

"The new regulations are there to help vehicle owners and will be introduced systematically."

"We have given vehicle manufacturers at least a year and a half to meet the new requirements," he said.

Other changes are that no-one may be in possession of a number plate if it does not relate to a vehicle owned by that person, and that only three standard-sized number plates will be allowed on South African roads from January 1 2010.

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 09:20:35 am »
Strict new number plate laws

Johannesburg - Vehicle owners countrywide will, by law, have to pop rivet or screw their number plates onto the body of their vehicle from January 1 2009.

Collen Msibi, spokesperson for the Department of Transport, said the new measures would make it more difficult for thieves to steal vehicles, and for vehicle owners to drive around with false number plates.

The department would require that every number plate be permanently fixed directly onto the panel of a vehicle with 4mm one-way screws or pop rivets, at all four corners.

The screws or pop rivets may not be further than 20mm from the edge of a number plate.

"This will make it a lot more difficult for criminals to remove a vehicle's number plate, and replace it with another.

"We believe that these little changes will make a big contribution towards reducing vehicle theft," Msibi said.

"The new regulations are there to help vehicle owners and will be introduced systematically."

"We have given vehicle manufacturers at least a year and a half to meet the new requirements," he said.

Other changes are that no-one may be in possession of a number plate if it does not relate to a vehicle owned by that person, and that only three standard-sized number plates will be allowed on South African roads from January 1 2010.

Can you imagine how many people got paid and how many meetings took place to figure this lot out.My plate is illegal,but no issues with the authorities been able to film it.The thing is with a lot of bikes is the fine for the wrong number plate or no number plate at all is exactly the same.maybe the reason some guys don't bother with them.
I reckon you more likely to get pulled off without one than with the incorrect size....
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Doringboom

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 09:43:26 am »
.............., and that only three standard-sized number plates will be allowed on South African roads from January 1 2010.

Thank you chicco (and all other contributors so far). I then deduce from the above that the 250 x 165 mm plate with letters & numbers with the height of 60 mm is among this three. I consider my question now answered :)

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 11:47:01 am »
On Personalised number plates KZN

Composition and size of a Provincial Personalised Licence Number
3.1 Composition
The combination of numbers and/or letters shall be followed by a hyphen and the letters ZN with the
wording KwaZulu-Natal in small print at the bottom of the plate. A Provincial Personalised Licence
Number may consist of any combination of numbers and/or letters up to a maximum of seven
characters with the following exceptions:
3.1.1 the number 1 cannot be used to replace the letter I and vise versa.
3.1.2 the number 0 cannot be used to replace the letter O and vise versa.
3.1.3 a Provincial Personalised Licence Number that is offensive in any manner as determined by
the Adjudicating Committee.
3.2 Size and Lettering style
3.2.1 Provincial Personalised Licence Number plates being supplied will be of the standard size
(440 x 120mm) and the standard lettering style for motor vehicles in terms of SABS 1116
unless otherwise requested on the preferred licence plate size form.
3.2.2 Failure to indicate an alternative size and lettering style if required will result in the
successful applicant being responsible for the replacement costs thereof and the return of the
standard size plates.
3.2.3 There are two lettering styles available, viz. the standard lettering style and the broader
lettering style. The broader lettering style may only be used on the 520 x 113mm plate for
combinations of one to six characters, on the 440 x 120mm plate for combinations of one to
five characters and on the 250 x 205mm plate for combinations of one to four characters on
the top half of the plate and a maximum of one character on the bottom half of the plate,
followed by the ĖZN.
3.2.4 The broader lettering style may not be used on the 250 x 165mm or the 305 x 165mm plate.
3.3 Display
3.3.1 In instances where 250 x 205mm or 250 x 165mm plates are requested, a minimum of one
and a maximum of five characters may be displayed on the top half of the plate and the
balance, if any, up to a maximum of two characters displayed on the bottom half of the plate
followed by the ĖZN.
3.3.2 In instances where the 305 x 165mm plates are requested, a minimum of one and a
maximum of six characters may be displayed on the top half of the plate and the balance, if
any, up to a maximum of three characters displayed on the bottom half of the plate followed
by the ĖZN.
3.3.3 In instances where the combination consists of seven characters only the following plate
sizes can be accommodated: 520 x 113mm, 305 x 165mm, 250 x 205mm and 250 x 165mm.

U C THATS WHY ALL NEW SPIETKOPS MUST HAVE ST 6. NO WAYS THEY WILL REMEMBER ALL THIS SK*T.

Offline JohanGPS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »
Manic, the one you use is a copy of the one I sell.
There are 2 new laser cameras that your cannot jam. They say yours is updateable, however they cannot update them . If you are ever close to CT , I have the newest
camera sim and can show you that yours do not jam them, only the older (and more widely used)
Still ages better than a shiter, bell 905 or blinder.
This country suffers from cANCcer. If we don't have it cut out it will be terminal.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 05:38:08 pm »
There are 2 new laser cameras that your cannot jam. They say yours is updateable, however they cannot update them . If you are ever close to CT , I have the newest
camera sim and can show you that yours do not jam them, only the older (and more widely used)

Tell us more or post link pls on product.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 12:07:36 am »

You see, when I started looking at these units they told me mine is the genuine one, and that the other is the copy  >:D

I have not recieved one fine since I had them installed almost 8mnths ago. And I pass numerous lasers everyday, and I'm always over the speed limit by 10 to 30kph. Wifes car has one in too. Same story, fines stopped since it was installed......

Still have a spare one in my cupboard, that needs to go onto my R1. But eish, if I know if I have it installed I will be in News24 very soon. Maybe it must stay in the cupboard, at least I now ride responsible with the R1.....

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 12:20:33 am »

Tell us more or post link pls on product.

www.laserpropark.com This is the one I have.
www.laserguys.co.za/laser_interceptor.htm

Test results and some common info on how it works. A MUST read to understand this.
http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008/laser-jammer-test.html

Offline Fugly

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 07:10:52 am »
So come on guys! Tell us which is the best!
Hell I'll start a new link!
Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 07:34:33 am »
Number plate disaster
26/01/2009 08:53  - (SA)   

I asked that traffic cop in Pretoria why they couldn't just log things on their computers and this is what he said. Honestly, I am not kidding. "All the films from the camera speed traps go to Israel where they are processed and the fines printed out and air freighted back to South Africa where they are posted. So unfortunately, we can't do anything about it."

What absolute rubbish!

I have a client whose business it is to install, and run numerous cameras throughout South Africa. They also process all the pictures and issue the fines that you can pay online.

More and more the police have tendered out the job of administering speed control out to private companies.

As they are private, they are not in the business to lose money. On the contrary they are out to make their systems as efficient as possible in all facets of the process.

This company also supplies the police with their cameras and are contracted to maintain them. This business used to be involved at the highest level of South African defense technology and a lot of the brains that were used there are now being applied to speed control. I would suggest that with all this against us, just being a little more legal is going to be the easier route.

A lot of us need to get past the concept that speeding is a right.

If you are going to do it then take your medicine when you get caught and stop whinging and making out that the police and government are in corrupt cahoots to spoil your fun.

I almost always speed on my bike but not in my car, and try my best to avoid the traps.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Fugly

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 07:37:28 am »
Since when do KTM riders speed? ;D
Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline TK-Ten

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 08:12:57 am »
Manic , that seems to be a common problem on the FJR's !!
Mine is getting the chainlube -and -dust treatment once in a while ! >:D
It's about all the XR and FJR have in common : They both use chainlube !! ;D
Find ecstacy in life , the mere sense of living is joy enough .
KTM990 ADV . XR650R . FJR1300A . Yamaha Grizzly 550 4x4 . Kawasaki GTR1400

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 01:29:43 pm »
So come on guys! Tell us which is the best!
Hell I'll start a new link!

At R8000 per unit you need to know what you buy........

If you look at the chart on the web link, the more GREEN you see the better. So according to that, the Laser Interceptor is the best. With my Laser Pro Park in second place.

Don't know what kind JohanGPS sells?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:37:46 pm by Manic »