Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda CRF230 headlamp conversion to have dim & bright function. Any ideas how ?  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Terror-Moto

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR200
  • ... da Terror-Moto, now on a CRF2-tirty ...
Hi guys,

I am really keen to find out where to get a headlamp that can replace the standard one on the bike so that I can have good quality lighting for the very rare night use.
I have the roadkit on the bike with a switch for dim & bright.
The std headlight only has a single contact globe & two wires to the socket; it's not wired for dim/bright.
The socket on the headlight needs to be changed to one with 3 wires & two contacts ... but that is a mission to try & find .. again no-one knows nothing.

I don't want to butcher the bike & have issues.com

Something like the spares from a Hunter CRF250 would probably fit, as it was a very close copy of the Honda bike.
Only thing is Hunter has closed down & no idea where to get hold of anyone that may have spares or bought over the spares stock from them.

I have tried in vain to ask around & at Honda shop in Pinetown for ideas.
Also web searches have not produced anything as yet.

If there is anyone that has done this or knows of a good source to get it done through, would really appreciate the assistance.

Fanks, fellow dogs.

... the Terror-Moto, now on a CRF2-tirty ...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:49:48 am by Terror-Moto »

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
I converted an old KDX tailpiece to fit my KLR and had to do some stuff to get the brake light to work. Not difficult at all. You might need an old head light that will sort-of fit and modify the mountings....Good luck
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Startline in Edenvale sells aftermarket headlight kits (includes the fairing). Maybe you can find something there that will be better?

Are you saying your CRF only has dim? Mine has dim and bright with the standard headlight and roadkit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:33:28 pm by Staalburger »

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
Startline in Edenvale sells aftermarket headlight kits (includes the fairing). Maybe you can find something there that will be better?

Are you saying your CRF only has dim? Mine has dim and bright with the standard headlight and roadkit.

No I think his has both but the stock CRF headlight is a little weak and only uses a 30W bulb if I am not mistaken.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
Hi guys,

I am really keen to find out where to get a headlamp that can replace the standard one on the bike so that I can have agood quality lighting for the very rare night use.
I have the roadkit on the bike with a switch for dim & bright.

I don't want to butcher the bike & have issues.com

Something like the spares from a Hunter CRF250 would probably fit, as it was a very close close copy of the Honda bike.
Only thing is Hunter has closed down & no idea where to get hold of anyone that may have spares or bought over the spares stock from them.

I have tried in vain to ask around & at Honda shop in Pinetown for ideas.
Also web searches have not produced anything as yet.

If there is anyone that has done this or knows of a good source to get it done through, would really appreciate the assistance.

Fanks, fewllo dogs.

... the Terror-Moto, now on a CRF2-tirty ...

All you need to do is change the inner lamp holder that holds the existing globe-One that can take a new Dim-Bright globe and change the globe to a 55watt--And of course the switch. Easy as that.
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Terror-Moto

• Pack Dog
Yes, that sounds like more or less what I am after.

I am in Durban area, & have not been able to locate anything that will fit in the original headlamp to replace the one filamnet globe to a double one.
Plus I need the base holder that will accomodate the 2 pins/terminals on the globe.
I also need to figure out how to run another wire from the switch, not sure if the harness has one & it is neatly taped up sowewhere.

Where was the CRF230 bike bought that has the dual function headlamp ?
I have not come across one yet & the agents & bike shops say they have never come out like that, as it was designed for offroad use & not built for the extra's.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
Yes, that sounds like more or less what I am after.

I am in Durban area, & have not been able to locate anything that will fit in the original headlamp to replace the one filamnet globe to a double one.
Plus I need the base holder that will accomodate the 2 pins/terminals on the globe.
I also need to figure out how to run another wire from the switch, not sure if the harness has one & it is neatly taped up sowewhere.

Where was the CRF230 bike bought that has the dual function headlamp ?
I have not come across one yet & the agents & bike shops say they have never come out like that, as it was designed for offroad use & not built for the extra's.

Try to get a fitting from a scrapped bike Tail-light-Brake light combination and work from there--Thats what i did. :mwink:
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
The older XR 500RE's had a dim/bright light, that insert fits into the existing CRF cowling, and it will be available from Honda,Honda part no:33123 KT1 650 @R314.05ex and the globe holder part no 33130 KT2 003 @ R130 ex.
Cheers
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:58:22 pm by Staalburger »

Offline Terror-Moto

• Pack Dog
I have finally managed to change my headlight socket. I found one from a quad bike & joined/soldered the wires.
I now have dim & bright via the switch; only thing is the globe spec is 12v 55/55 W for dim & bright & the light coming out of the headlight is not too good.

Anyone have any ideas on where to get a globe that will deliver good light ?
I have tried Startline & a few local bikeshops plus Midas & Autozone in Pinetown but no cigar.

I think the globe may be a H6 type or the base of it is similar.