Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buying a bike as a foreigner  (Read 744 times)

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • Bas in Africa blog
Buying a bike as a foreigner
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:55:12 pm »
Hi all,

in june this year I made a wonderful trip to south africa. I rented a bike and wandered around for a bit. And now I want more...

The idea is to go from South Africa to Tanzania, by bike of course, to pop around at a friends place for a beer or two, and head back to SA via another route.

There's two ways to get hold of a bike for the trip:
buy one at home and ship it forth and back ($$$)
Pros
familiar with bike
can be customized exactly to my likings

Cons
Shipping is expensive
will need carnet to drive around (can anyone confirm?)
takes lot to get organised and clearing the bike can be a hassle

Buy and sell one on the spot in SA
Pros
Bikes in SA are generally cheaper than the are over here in the Netherlands
No shipping required

Cons
Finding a good and reliable bike
takes a bit of time to buy one, but perhaps even more to sell one

But the most important one? Is it possible for me to own and insure a bike as a tourist? Will I be able to take it out of the country?

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
Re: Buying a bike as a foreigner
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:07:46 pm »
Hi Darkhelmet ,

I see you ride a BMW GS650 , my advise would be to contact a BMW dealer arrange to buy a used bike from them and get them to give you a buy back price dependent on condition and mileage.

A mate of mine did it a couple of years ago bought a used bike for R 50 000 used it for 3 months put about 20 000km's on it and sold it back to hem for R 40 000.

At present exchange rates that is about 900 euro , you will never get your bike here and back for that money.
I am not here for a long time , I am here for a good time !

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS
Harley Fatboy ( yeah I Know !)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:41:46 pm »
Agreed. No problem owning or insuring as a tourist. You might want to look into insurance for Tanzania, though - as far as I know most local insurance companies only cover neighbouring countries.

There are some amazingly good value bikes of all kinds on this forum right now...

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:22:56 am »
Hi Darkhelmet ,

I see you ride a BMW GS650 , my advise would be to contact a BMW dealer arrange to buy a used bike from them and get them to give you a buy back price dependent on condition and mileage.

A mate of mine did it a couple of years ago bought a used bike for R 50 000 used it for 3 months put about 20 000km's on it and sold it back to hem for R 40 000.

At present exchange rates that is about 900 euro , you will never get your bike here and back for that money.

Hi Blainec, thanks for the response.
I dont actually have a 650GS. It was a rental.

So he was able to insure the bike?
I presume you have to have an address in South Africa when you want to insure the bike?

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:26:30 am »
Agreed. No problem owning or insuring as a tourist. You might want to look into insurance for Tanzania, though - as far as I know most local insurance companies only cover neighbouring countries.

There are some amazingly good value bikes of all kinds on this forum right now...

Cool, good to know. Any experience with insuring a bike beyond neighbouring countries?

I think a dealer would be a good option to buy, because they can help me out getting the bike insured I guess, and buyback can perhaps be arranged aswell.
This will be a bit more difficult when buying via this forum. But then again, you can pop by dealerships to try to sell a bike anyway :)