LeonDude and Friends to Boegoeberg and Beyond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Day 1

This ride was a long time in the making. As soon as the venue was announced, I started planning a route around the venue, knowing I would take at least a week off to ride.

Boegoeberg se dam, they said. Where the hell was that, I had never heard of the place?

Well I found out, did a lot of checking of what was in and around the area, and decided what I wanted to do and see, and I wanted to do and see a lot!

My route would take me along some of those names you only ever hear of, Barkley West, Douglas, Prieska, Upington, Keimoes, Kakamas, Augrabies Falls, to name but a few!

Day one would start on Wednesday, and it would be a day of solo riding. With an early start I would shoot through to Krugersdorp before sparrows fart, to make sure I beat the early morning traffic. I wanted to get to Orkney on tar, and from there hit the gravel all along the Vaal river to Bloemhof dam.

As per tradition, here is the photo of the freshly packed Basterbrak, ready to leave at 5AM.

bikepacked.jpg

Right after leaving both Orkney and the tar behind I found this little twee spoor that took me to my first nice stop for the day, next to the Vaal river.

VaalShade.jpg

Before the trip, I had decided I would ride no more than 50 Kilos before stopping and taking a photo. Here is some old abandoned church I found.

100_2448.jpg

Here is a collection of the wild flowers I found next to the road. Amazing how things we call weeds can be so beautiful.  

100_2430.jpg

100_2438.jpg

100_2439.jpg

100_2440.jpg

100_2458.jpg

Some more shots taken along the ride. The first of these shots weren’t actually on the route, but I took each one a little way to get away from the busy tar road when I took a rest break.

100_2427.jpg

100_2436.jpg

100_2461.jpg

Check out the size of the fish! (Hope you can see them, resizing pics is a bitch!)
100_2466.jpg

100_2469.jpg

The beautiful Vaal river.
100_2467.jpg

Bloemhof dam is not small!

100_2470.jpg

100_2473.jpg

These folk walk around freely, and came past my tent at some time to have a drink of water.
100_2479.jpg

After day 1 I was knackered. I had bought wood, but just couldn’t be bothered to light a fire. After a bit of stargazing I just crawled into my sleeping bag and dreamed dreams of what day two would bring.