Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding Alone  (Read 1747 times)

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
Re: Riding Alone
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 09:24:02 pm »
Ride solo most trips, but have read on this thread that I will die alone.....oooooohh!!!
Some people are just born group-animals.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53:30 pm »
Funny, didn't notice any girls that ride aone?  I've done a few rides on my own... my first long solo ride was last year after the Chilly Knickers run. I rode from Sabie, via Robbers Pass, to look at a property near there, to Randburg. I must say I really enjoyed it. I did meet up with the rest of the Chilli Knickers in Dullstoom, but then I continued on my own again. 
The next ride I did was from Randburg to Barberton, got daring on that one and even tried a new route! Made it in good time too, I only stopped once for fuel and made it in just under 3 1/2 hours.
And the last one was good too, this time it even included some dirt.  I decided on a Friday night (after a few drinks in the pub!) that I would join my friends from the Africa Twin Club for their Pyjama Run near Loskop Dam.  So on Saturday morn I packed my bike and off I went... preparation was non exsistent though... but I had Tequila, so I was all good. So I rode from Barberton (where we stay now) to Loskop Dam, via Machadadorp, Belfast, Stofberg, Groblersdal... I don't like Highway and Toll Roads, so this route was just peachy, a few pot holes to watch out for, but that kept me alert.
So although I like riding alone, I also like riding with my man, just the two of us, but I'm not too fond of riding in really large groups...

SomewherEls has done a solo ride around SA on a 1200GS, and there is a female forum member in CT that often rides alone, also rides a 1200GS if I'm not mistaken.
Go Girl has also done a few solo trips, PTA to CT is one I remember.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Rittelin (RIP)

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 1050 Tiger
  • Do Stupid Things Faster With More Energy!
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2009, 09:58:48 pm »
I've just done 2 x small Garden Route trips in the Cape in Dec. of 900km (with pillion) & then another 1100km alone.

99% of the D/S bikers I'd pased (coming & going) were all ALONE!! :o

It's only now & then that you'll see a group of 2, 3 or maybe max 4 bikers touring together.

Interresting,  8)
BMW K1200GT
Triumph 1050 Tiger

email: thebeat@iburst.co.za  'where we are passionate about music'

Oppad

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2009, 10:12:15 pm »
Ride solo most trips, but have read on this thread that I will die alone.....oooooohh!!!
Some people are just born group-animals.

Nee man, Dan. You're missing the point ever so slightly. I think the man mentioned something Jan Staal allegedly said in an offhand way.

Before the birth of my baby daughter I mostly did solo trips but family imperatives, creeping caution and other logistics have since curbed my riding activities considerably and solo (or any) trips are now few and far between. Some of my best memories are about lone ranger trips and some of my best memories are about travelling in (small) groups. One day outrides in large groups is not really my cup of tea but can be fun once in a while.

To my mind it is not about what is best as each kind of trip has its own dynamics and its own kind of magic. But maybe there is a special kind of magic in just following your nose on your own. It can also become a special kind of shitty if you have serious mechanical problems, you are cold and wet and have to watch Sewende Laan on your own in the deserted bar of a platteland hotel.

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
If I have the cat by the tail on the Jan Staal quote, my apologies.
Riding with friends is of course not 2nd prize at all, all day inside a lonely helmet with my crazy,scary thoughts, can be really good to share what the day brought with friends around a fire.

Offline XXL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Piaggio (all models)
  • I am Blessed
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2009, 05:41:31 am »
If I have the cat by the tail on the Jan Staal quote, my apologies.
Riding with friends is of course not 2nd prize at all, all day inside a lonely helmet with my crazy,scary thoughts, can be really good to share what the day brought with friends around a fire.

I am beginning to think that it is wise to have at least 2 bikes, much like scuba divers always have a buddy. However, the adventurer in us advocates solo....as unwise as it sounds ::)

Offline hardrider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: DKW (all models)
  • lunaberg
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2009, 07:11:57 am »
Ridden solo mort of my life! Jst never considered the downside! Nw my wifes been bitten by the bug! She wont miss a trip! Been teaching her on the 200 scrambler with an eye to getting her, her own ds! 
bike; transalp 400! there are old bikers and bold bikers! but no, old bold bikers!!!
Studys have shown that motorcycleing requires more decisions per second, and more data proccesing than nearly any other common activity or sport. the reactions and accurate decision makeing abilities, have been likened to the reactions of fighter pilots!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2009, 08:11:31 am »
Going solo has its dangers, but it has its good side too. Sometimes, I just have to spend some time on my own.

Just ride well within yourself, and always have a backup plan. Most of the places I travel in SA, even far flung places, have cell reception, so I don't use my cell for radio or mp3's when solo - it is my lifeline and I look after my battery.
Always leave your route with your family or a friend you can trust.
NEVER leave on a solo trip without your medi - kit.
Be prepared for anything.
When things go wrong - and they will - take it with a a sense of adventure. Even when your bike is on the back of a bakkie after you crashed and you're getting a lift back to civilization - you are still having an adventure. Enjoy it. Often, your attitude will dictate wether you enjoy yourself or not.
:biggrin: Ok so I wasn't solo when this happened only days after I posted, thank heavens, but it does still count as adventure.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:12 am »
Lekker Leon, see it as an adventure and experience, not a setback! Happy you are O.K.