Day cruise in ChrisL's backyard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I met Chris (ChrisL) and his wife at the WC “Eendstop” bash last year (sorry – 2008  ;D).

We didn’t really manage to get all the talking and chatting in during that weekend that we would have liked to, but did realize that we clicked and since then became good (forum) friends – even though we did not even once manage to meet up again since that time. And this is what I love the most about this forum – the new buds one make.

Anyway, I had an upcoming visit due to my mom in Stilbaai a couple of days before X-mas and told Chris this fact looong in advance in order to convince him to book a time slot in his diary to show me a bit of the countryside around where he lives.

Chris was an absolute gem of a tour guide and collected me from my mom’s place at 08h00 sharp on the 11th of Dec – the day before the Breede Bash – which Chris also wanted to attend. Set out below are a few pics of our ride on this day.

First stop next to the river, just outside Stilbaai
DSC05599.jpg

The river really looked inviting this time of the morning
DSC05600.jpg

The powers that be is busy paving the road next to the river – although it is a definite improvement, I wonder if it is not a lot more expensive than just tarring it. Also wonder if this will last longer than a normal tarred road?
DSC05601.jpg

This river valley is really beautiful, with Chris' place way in the distance. Jy is `n lucky bliksem om hier te kan bly, Chris!!
DSC05603.jpg

More scenery of the river and Chris’ “front garden”
DSC05604.jpg

DSC05605.jpg

DSC05606.jpg

After crossing this same river a bit higher up,
DSC05608.jpg

we had a mix of tar and nice easy dirt towards  Riversdal. I CANNOT cross a train track without taking copious amounts of boring pictures of the bike draped across the tracks, always entertaining  macabre thoughts of exactly how this boney will look once the Transkaroo has finished passing over the bike in this position

DSC05609.jpg

DSC05611.jpg

DSC05610.jpg

After the obligatory fill-up for both the bikes and us at the Riversdal Wimpy, I followed Chris through some more laid back winding dirt roads towards the Langeberg (Chris?) mountains, where we stopped for a water break and some more karkpraat, just after the Gysmanshoekpas.

DSC05612.jpg

DSC05613.jpg

Start of the Pass

DSC05614.jpg

and the pass itself

DSC05615.jpg

DSC05616.jpg

At the top taking in some local knowledge  :biggrin:

DSC05617.jpg

Dropping down on the other side of the Gysmanshoek, we continued on some more relaxing and winding roads till we hit the tar at the Miertjieskraal turnoff from the R327..

DSC05620.jpg

DSC05621.jpg

DSC05623.jpg

DSC05624.jpg

Going back over the mountains towards Riversdal, we had to cross using the tarred Garcia Pass, where I took these pics:

DSC05626.jpg

DSC05628.jpg

We then followed the mountain range east towards Albertinia, stopping for various chats and enjoying the scenery – I have passed this area many a time on the N2, but never realized the beauty of the area. In Albertinia I was treated to the local Russian vetkoek (the type that you eat – ok ok – with a knife and fork) andf then stopped off at Chris’ place before heading back to Stilbaai.

DSC05630.jpg

And finally the guide - taking a breather after some fast riding.

DSC05631.jpg

What an enjoying day!!

I always thought Chris would have a laid back style of riding as he is a laid back oke generally, but I must admit I really had to hang on the X’s ear to keep up to the second most recent pig bike version

Chris – dit was `n great ride met great companionship. Thanks vir jou reelings en moeite  – sien uit na die volgende ene

p