Sidetrack's DR 650 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
After owning the DR 650 for two weeks now I'm starting to like the no nonsense thumper. Initially I was a bit dissapointed. I kept comapring it to my DRZ which to be fair is at leat 5 years newer in design and technology. But I had to remind myself that this was not the reason for buying the DR, I wanted something that could do a bit of everything without breaking the bank and being reliable. After searching far and wide it was down to either a XR 650 or DR650. I ended up with the Suzuki for no less than R23 500 what a bargain !

The bike is a 2002 DR650SE with 32 000km on the clock. It arrived in good shape but I had ideas as to what needed to be done. This process should keep me busy for a while.

Quick trip to Offroad Cycles sorted me with some stuff to get started including a slightly used IMS tank in good nick for a very good price, I was like a kid on Christmas morning  :ricky:

Picture018.jpg

I attacked the handlebars first, a set of Trailtech X bars with some risers same setup as on my DRZ which I could not fault.

Picture011.jpg

Also some Hyde handguards

Picture014.jpg

The tank went on without a hitch, no idea what mileage I can get from it but should be way better than the stock steel jobbie.

Picture002.jpg

Speedo and idiot lights, what else do you need for the bush ?

Picture004.jpg

After reading many DR articles and info on Wilddogs everyone recommended to remove the upper chain roller and sidestand switch. I also got rid of the stock plastic lower fender unit which holds the numberplate on. I traced the sidestand switch up to the seat and just cut and soldered the wires together. One less thing to worry about.

Picture006.jpg

The bike came with a Neville pipe which sounds good if a bit loud maybe, it will do untill I can afford a FMF Q2. It's a long tri oval unit prob built for Superbikes. I don't like the aftermarket header. The bends are poorly done and I'm sure it sticks out further and lower than the stock item. Anyone know of a good pipe manufacturer locally ?

Picture003.jpg

Pic without stock license plate unit, I want to make a small aluminium bracket or mount the plate directly to the rear fender. Brand new D606 added to the rear as well.

Picture008.jpg

I did a little ride today and the bike is fun as a commuter as well. I would say it's about the same speed as the DRZ but because it revs lower and slower with more torque it just feels more relaxed. 4th gear on the 650 feels like 5th on the 400. I like the current gearing it should be fine for offroad as well. Most important part to get hold off next is a bash plate, the underside has no protection. And then there is some nice to have's like aftermarket rims, FCR carb, RMZ fender, stiffer fork springs (the bike nosedives like crazy !), braided brake lines etc etc  :deal:

So far I'm a happy chappy, thumbs up to the DR  :thumleft:

Picture.jpg