Solo Nr. 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneyMan

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
The plan was for Sunday to take the wife on her first dirt. Short route to Cullinan for breakfast.

With the kids at grandparents, we slept in. When wife finally awoke, she took one look at the skies and said she is not lus for heat and the biking thing. :?

"But why don't you go and ride anyway" :shock: :shock: :shock:
After recovering from the faint, I got up from the floor and got going. :lol:

I decided to re-visit the plan of yesterday. This time I made sure about the turn-off.

Got going at 10H30. Battery is sorted it seems and I'm full of confidence.

The turn-off to the dirt road is at Pienaarsrivier.
IMG_0042.jpg

Lekker level 2 road with heavy corrigations , loose sandy patches and old mud ditches keeping one alert.

I really enjoyed this part. It is a lekker feeling when the road conditions results in one not feeling the thumper'' vibrations. :twisted: :lol: (I have to make plan with my glasses though. Jumps around inside the helmet causing blurry vision. :shock: :roll:

This section must be something else after heavy rains. :p

Almost shat my pants hitting deepish sand at one stage but was through it before the thought could be "completed".

IMG_0045.jpg

Lots of these sandy, dried mud ditches on the road.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Finally got around to putting a WD sticker on.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Got to Kgomo-Kgomo. The breeding ground of Stofdonkie's. There was a lot off them. :shock: :lol:

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Right towards Deletlwane (also spelled Depetleloane). Water break. At this stage it was very hot!

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Got to the crossroads. I could remember Depetlwane and Ngobi when I planned the route. But which road? Decisions. Decisions. I took Dipetlwane. Turned out one ends up at Ngobi anyway. This is just a bit of a nice detour.

IMG_0057.jpg

Graveyard

IMG_0058.jpg

Decisions again. Took the two track but it joined the main road to the left a bit later on. Main road level 2 road with heavy corrigation and loose sand/pebbles. Lekker!

IMG_0059.jpg

A short 2km tar stretch and decision time again. Both start with dirt. I took Bela-Bela with time in mind. Afterwards I come to realize the Slagboom road is the turnoff I should take to complete my original route towards Mabelingwe. But time was against me and I will revisit again.

IMG_0060.jpg

This road was Level 1 with high speeds clocked.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

At the T-Junction, I took Roodepoort (No. I'm sure it said Roodepoort! :lol: ) dirt which goes level with the tar towards Bela-Bela.

Got to an intersection saying: Noodhulp Left. Warmbad right.
Decided to go Noodhulp. One never knows.... Maybe some luscious nurse giving free "emergency" treatment. :oops:

No such luck. Ended up in Bela-Bela where luckily I found this. A well. A cold one made me forget the dissapointment! :lol:

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

First time I saw this novel way of cooling the air down.
IMG_0064.jpg

Met Fred who tried to flog his Dakar. Clean as a whistle. Doubt that bike ever saw dirt.
IMG_0066.jpg

Then off to Hammanskraal via R101 and Boekenhoutkloof again.

Took the Wallmannstal dirt towards the N4 and back home.

Notice the angle of Stofrot. Try getting the bike level again from that angle when you sitting on it and being 'n kortgat like me! No way! Had to push it to more level ground! :roll: :oops: :lol:

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

The two day's of riding has given me a lot of new perspective on riding and confidence levels.

- One is more circumspect when alone but still have the odds sections where adrenalin just takes over. Have to get control of that because it can be dangerous when riding alone.
- I will manage
- A GPS will be a nice addition. Maybe one day.
- Exploring is part of the fun, even though one sometimes gets worried. (Mostly worried of getting lost without petrol and phone coverage)

I will complete the original planned route. Definately still this summer!