Oh the lament of my Dakar front suspension...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDave

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Ok, here is the problem:

I took my Dakar for its 20 000km service at BMW and so the problem(s) started.
Main problem after getting it back from the dealers was the front suspension.

On the 20 000km service they change the fork oil. 
Since then, with the slightest hick-up in the road surface, it felt and sounded like the suspension bottomed-out...  :patch:

It’s as if the suspension struggles to get past the first couple of millimeters of compression.
The dive, under braking, is still normal and all the other things, as far as I can tell.

I spoke to the guys there and they said I should bring it back(naturally) and they will have a look.
What I also asked is that they take it for a test ride to actually understand what I’m talking about and so that they know I’m not talking bollocks. 
On that suggestion they said no, if the client says there’s something wrong then there must be something wrong and they will re-do the shocks. 

Soooo....took the bike back about 2 weeks ago and they re-did the shocks. 
When I collected my Dakar, I specifically asked if they did a test ride to see if the problem is now sorted out.  The answer was “No”....

Anyways, long story short.  Front brakes didn’t work so lekker after that, almost hit a cage on my way out!   
...and the front suspension?  Well, at the most it was a tiny bit better but still does the same thing.

:mad:  :mad:  :mad:

Now, I don’t like complaining but the suspension NEVER did what it’s doing now.
And this now means I would have to go back AGAIN...with them probably thinking this guy is a lunatic and I’m wasting their time.    :bueller:

I’m also beginning to doubt myself!! 

But hell, if there is something wrong with your price possession then there is something wrong and you would expect the dealers to sort it out first time around.    ::)

Also, should I maybe escalate the problem higher?  Like talking to the big boss there?  ???

So what could they have done wrong?

-  To much oil?
-  To little oil?
-  Wrong weight, twice?!?!?  (I assume they would know the correct stuff to trow in...)

Those seem the obvious things? 
These are still the original shocks as well and no other mods on the wheel or suspension
for that matter...

Aaaagg....any advice that I can convey to them would be appreciated!

Thanxs a mil!