Underpowered and out of fuel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Can't imagine why this trip didn't feature on the planning a trip part of this site? Only about 40 000 bikers turned up for the breakfast run.

They were pretty strict about starting times and we all had to get registered. ATTGAT was compulsory but they have funny ideas about leathers? Oh well when in Rome...

Once we were all "corralled"

135404152-M.jpg

They had a novel way of kicking off the run with a "start line", cheering crowds, music and a gun

135404220-M.jpg

My boney, full tanks, new rubber and tool kit packed under the saddle. The gearbox is state of the art with fourteen gears, but the motor is in need of some maintenance, new valves and I think the ECU is f@$cked. The suspension is a bit hard and the seat takes a bit of getting used to.

135404177-M.jpg

As per usual you get the okes at the front who don't wait and they pissed off into the distance once the gun went off, I never saw them again.

My bike is a bit underpowered - the power to weight ratio is a little out. The carburetion is not fully sorted so it is a bit thirsty too. I nearly ran out of fuel at the top of Chapman?s Peak. Fortunately they had thoughtfully organised a fuel station there and I filled up just one tank as that should get me to the finish. I put some octane boosters in just to make sure.

Being underpowered I had to get sneaky and draft most of the quicker guys most of the way and could only snap a photo on Suikerbossie where it was safer as I was going pretty slowly. First gear just barley got me up and I thought for a moment I might have to push my boney up the hill.

135404256-M.jpg

The finish was chaos and I never did get to have breakfast as advertised, I would have been too tired to enjoy it anyway.

135404284-M.jpg

They had a novel idea in timing everyone on the ride and my competitive streak came out despite my being handicapped by my kuk motor I don't think I did too bad.

I looked like a 5.43 though

135404131-M.jpg

They apparently do this every year, wonder if I can take my 950 next time?