Newbie Intro to offroad at De Wildt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

I'll show anyone around De Wildt with no hesitation, in the same spirit people like Steve Lauter and Ufudo have shown me around. The only thing is that the person must show the same respect for the area and not be a cowboy.
This ride was to show the guys who rode the canals to the Jericho river with us last week what its all about. Last week was greater De Wildt extention, this was to be proper !
Phoning around we got another few newbs and then some of the guys I ride and race with.
The plan was a total easy ride, just riding around showing them the area,
but the newb run turned into an intermediate ride when we didnt have to wait too long over some of the first bits.

Marius on the KTM525 had the first bail in the black sands "enduro loop" twisties when a whoop and corner at the same time didnt agree with him.
Then to coconuts via groot boom, to have a break at the bottom.

The group was really 4 guys who had ridden De Wildt a few times, and then 4 that were newbs.
mapeterpan and donkiekakabeen (from now on known as MPP and DKK, or CRF dude 1 and 2) decided to ride up coconuts to see what this was all about.
When they got to the top they seemed fine so off to the Vee it was!
3 of the group decided to not ride up and waited at the bottom of coconuts. Vatso you lazy bastard!
The V comes down the mountain on the same side as coconuts, it turned out to be a LOT easier than riding up, MPP and DKK did well to ride down this tech section. MPP's bike boiled a little, damn 4 strokes.

From there we got the group again, rode along one of my favorite sections the main river till the "secret shabeen"
I had to find the only frikken mud hole in the whole of dry De Wildt, my luck recently with mud is shocking.

MPP and DKK having a drink - essential hydration, nothing smaller than quarts.
DSC03515_small.jpg

We had a few beers and they were introduced to the secondary form of riding at De Wildt, shabeen hopping.
Not to make this intro a shabeen tour, we then rode at a good pace alone the main river till the "toerivier" or tight river and doubled back along this.
Here I could fly out ahead and setup camera points waiting for the group.

MPP riding a steep downhill
DSC03523_small.jpg

DSC03524_small.jpg

Followed by another newb Maciek who started with a bike at the top
DSC03519_small.jpg

And before my camera could reset this was lying next to me
DSC03520_small.jpg

With Maciek a little further on
DSC03521_small.jpg

Pictures before helping!
DSC03522_small.jpg

DKK in the riverbed
DSC03527_small.jpg

DKK was woken up by an out of sequence whoop
DSC03536_small.jpg

Just before another little rutted climb.
DSC03537_small.jpg

We then rode at a good pace along the main river to the big tree - MX section, then down pipeline , over the watertower bit and back .
Cold beer in the parking lot was the order of the day.

MPP and DKK did 10 times better than I though, well done for taking on coconuts on your first ride, didnt even bitch at the top like most people do.
And you also know where the Vee is now, next time we ride UP there !

Others on this ride

Mark "Vatso" - Take That (isnt that a gay boy band?)
DSC03516_small.jpg

Richard "KDX_Noddy", the other half of team Caddux
DSC03517_small.jpg

Marius "Zero"
DSC03546_small.jpg

And Anthony "RedAnt"
DSC03550_small.jpg

Real dirt bikers dont have names, only nicknames.
Well done to the newbs, thanks for the stress free day, I enjoyed the ride and will be back soon!