R1200GS Starting Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntVan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So, Preciousss and I met up with Mr. Mudmonster some weeks back and had a nice chat. Some mud got on Preciousss so I took the high pressure McGafter and did some gentle unmudding. I try to be very careful with those McGafters, but you never know...

Two days later Preciousss is renamed Bl!ksem - she won't start when cold. Heavy workload means I come home after dark and leave early, so I don't have time to work on Preciousss, and I figure she is running fine once we come to terms with each other. "Battery!" I hear you scream in a chorus. Nope, battery - she is fine, like Cameron Diaz, and only two months old, unlike Cameron Diaz.

Eventually I figure out I can start Preciousss by opening the throttle half way, and then pressing the joybutton. So we continue to commute together, but I am aware of this monkey on my shoulder, like that KFC add.

Yesterday, I eventually have access to my garage when Agteroppie is at the horse, grooming and all, and I actually leave work on time. I love it when a plan comes together. I pull into the garage, get a worklight and viola! It seems some sensor on the throttle body was loose. I suspect this happened at the dealer when Preciousss went for her service, and high pressure McGafter only loosened it a bit further. The reason I suspect the dealer is that the other sensor is also not properly connected. The physical clicker on the other side is fine, but the rubber "kondoompie" is also not properly fastened over the connector.

Tested this morning, Preciousss is back!  

The Mistake I Made Was...:
(Continued from a list I keep from personal experience)
#7 Not inspecting the connections after I got her back from service.
#8 High Pressure Cleaner.