Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Which tyres do you use on your 610's?  (Read 3258 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Which tyres do you use on your 610's?
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 07:55:55 pm »
Look you do not get more radical rear tyre eaters than an SE and HP2 and the tyres I have suggested have been tested on these beasts ... Rally Raid, E09 and TKC in my book.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 10:57:23 am »
Look you do not get more radical rear tyre eaters than an SE and HP2 and the tyres I have suggested have been tested on these beasts ... Rally Raid, E09 and TKC in my book.

In the sand the TKC rear has no grip; I don't rate this tyre at all and could not wait to get it off my bike.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:21 pm »

In the sand the TKC rear has no grip; I don't rate this tyre at all and could not wait to get it off my bike.

:eek7: And what would you use instead?

Most tyres, like DS bikes, are a compromise in some areas - it just depends where you want to place the emphais ie where you want the best performance. If it sand you ride 80% of the time sure there are gnarlier agressive tyres that will grip better than a 'DS knobbly' ... if it is loose marbly stuff and rocks maybe a trials tyre like a MT43 would be a preferance etc.  I think we all know tyres are one of those subjective subjects which is often 'different strokes for different folks'.  I have used alot of different tyres and helped motivate and test for the importation of  the Heideneaus and Mitas. I have not used a TKC on the TE but still do rate the tyre - especially if you adjust pressure and it is great on tar for a knobbly. My recent tyre of choice has been the Mitas E09 but as with beer maybe my taste will change.  :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »

:eek7: And what would you use instead?

Most tyres, like DS bikes, are a compromise in some areas - it just depends where you want to place the emphais ie where you want the best performance. If it sand you ride 80% of the time sure there are gnarlier agressive tyres that will grip better than a 'DS knobbly' ... if it is loose marbly stuff and rocks maybe a trials tyre like a MT43 would be a preferance etc.  I think we all know tyres are one of those subjective subjects which is often 'different strokes for different folks'.  I have used alot of different tyres and helped motivate and test for the importation of  the Heideneaus and Mitas. I have not used a TKC on the TE but still do rate the tyre - especially if you adjust pressure and it is great on tar for a knobbly. My recent tyre of choice has been the Mitas E09 but as with beer maybe my taste will change.  :ricky:

I recently fitted a set of Michelin Deserts front and rear. The rear is a quite a big takkie when compared to the TKC that came off, so it robs a bit of power. I then rode from Parklands to Atlantis on the railway line, played on the dunes a bit and rode back. The grip I got was night and day away from what I had before; granted they were brand new tyres.  :ricky:

I have been warned by a few people about the Desert front on tar; I believe the Dakar competitors, most of whom use the Deserts were also warned about the front on tar.   :deal: Time will tell.

On my XT I use Maxxis M6006 which is my real tyre of preference, but the rear only comes in 120/80/18 or 130/80/17 which are no good for the 610.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:22:14 pm by Rough Rider »

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2012, 04:13:58 pm »
On a trip about 2-3 years ago to Lesotho a friend, Edgy, only got as far as Queenstown 9from Grahamstown) on his SE with a Desert - the tar that we had to ride to get there killed the rear  tyre (and no excessive speeds) ... it threw whole blocks off and we had to go searching for a replacement tyre ... had to settle on a Chinese special  :D  I now refer to them as Desserts as that is what it turned into  :3some:  Caveat Emptor

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »
I have heard that you have to be careful how you run them in.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2012, 08:31:34 pm »
I have heard that you have to be careful how you run them in.

Ja I think this is probably true. Like many knobblies you cannot just climb on them and tonk it from get go. :o

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 10:34:16 am »
Finally took the MT43 trials tyre off at 13403km's.  I put it on at 10711 so thats 2692 k's.

It still has a couple of millimeters left on the central knob it certainly would last another 300k weekend trip to get to 3000k as claimed.  But its starting to lose that magic grip.

I still don't know what to replace it with so in the mean time I just put on the old Karoo in the meanwhile which still has a few k's left in it.

I'll probably go for another MT43, mostly because its just so nice knowing your back tyre will stick, no matter what, it really transforms the way I can ride.  And its a good price.

But that still leaves me with the dilemma of what to do for long trips with lots of tar - which I want to do more of now I carry enough fuel to circumnavigate the globe.

Everyone talks about the Mitas 09 but its bloody expensive and I'm sick of paying and paying and paying - The Safari tank used up a lot of my goodwill in that area - so blame the Austarlians!
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:16 am »
Finally took the MT43 trials tyre off at 13403km's.  I put it on at 10711 so thats 2692 k's.

It still has a couple of millimeters left on the central knob it certainly would last another 300k weekend trip to get to 3000k as claimed.  But its starting to lose that magic grip.

I still don't know what to replace it with so in the mean time I just put on the old Karoo in the meanwhile which still has a few k's left in it.

I'll probably go for another MT43, mostly because its just so nice knowing your back tyre will stick, no matter what, it really transforms the way I can ride.  And its a good price.

But that still leaves me with the dilemma of what to do for long trips with lots of tar - which I want to do more of now I carry enough fuel to circumnavigate the globe.

Everyone talks about the Mitas 09 but its bloody expensive and I'm sick of paying and paying and paying - The Safari tank used up a lot of my goodwill in that area - so blame the Austarlians!

My solution to the problem was a panel van for the tar sections. Takes care of the fuel range and the tyre wear.  :biggrin:
It's quite easy all I have to do is take the mirrors off  :imaposer:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 02:42:32 pm »
For long trips with tar Dunlop D908 or Mitas 09 IMHO.

Online dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »
Have you tried mitas c02 and c18?

C18;
Is very aggressive but lasted well on my 450. I did about 400KM of tar in one day on it and it didn't seem to damage the knobs too bad.
It has lots of magic on the dirt I can promise you; I bought the 450 from Louerens Mahoney with that same C18.
If the pro's use them..
Currently I'm running a c18 on my berg, it power wheelies on dirt; the grip is great.
The sidewalls are insanely strong; I did 120km on a totally flat rear with my loaded 450, with no damage to the tire or tube (Sidetrack is my witness to this)

C02;
Had one on my XR600 and another on the 525.
The great thing about them is that their knobs are HUGE and lasts looong. The knobs on the sides are uber aggressive, offering great feedback while lying your bike over in the corners.

@Alan, I cant imagine how little grip the trials tire has when cornering, seeing that it has no side knobs and is very square!
I guess the trials tire is fine if you put the hammer down on the straights (it has a lot of contact surface area with all the knobs), but I will see my arse around the 1st bend if I ran that thing on my berg.
Ask Sidetrack how crazy the berg fish-tales on dirt with the C18 (which has knobs of note around the edges)

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »
Alan said "long trips of tar" ... C series Mitas's not the right tools. If you do 80-90 dirt ja maybe.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:39 pm »
@Alan, I cant imagine how little grip the trials tire has when cornering, seeing that it has no side knobs and is very square!
I guess the trials tire is fine if you put the hammer down on the straights (it has a lot of contact surface area with all the knobs), but I will see my arse around the 1st bend if I ran that thing on my berg.
Ask Sidetrack how crazy the berg fish-tales on dirt with the C18 (which has knobs of note around the edges)

Actually it handles quite well round corners on dirt , cant explain why, because it is quite square.  It probably deforms because its has quite a high profile and while the side wall is tough its quite flexible. 

I was tentative at first but after a while I just rode it as fast and hard as I felt like, never once had a moment.  You just stick, its fantastic.  My first real test was doing the Rhino Park enduro track which I know well and which suites the bike.  I can get through the twisty back section quite fast, the MT43 allowed me to go even faster  :thumleft: 

Maybe its got to do with my riding style.  I don't intentionally try and slide or drift through corners, I know some people like that - I think if you do you wont like the tyre because it wont really reward you if you ride it like that.  It sticks more than it slides.

On tar its a bit squirmy but otherwise well behaved.  But there is visible wear every time you ride tar for any distance.

Cant comment what it would be like on a Husaberg.  But guys use them on 690's and report great results.

I road up Primrose Koppie today on the Karoo and it was night and day. Slipping and sliding all over the show, bike going sideways at times as the back span out, and almost not making it up some little climbs I have got used to.  Even in its current worn state the MT43 is still miles better than any knobbly.  Admittedly the Karoo is a bit worn, but not as badly as the MT43 which still has tons more grip.  I might even take the Karoo off again  ???

To me the trade off is clear - soft well designed tyre = superb grip and exceptional riding experience, but short tyre life.  Hard road orientated 50/50 tyre = long tyre life but you lose out when riding technical off road stuff - its more point squirt an hope.

Offline TK

• Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
Agreed with Alan on tyre life and grip. I use a Mitas E-09 on the back and am happy with it but I know that on my '09 Huskey I'll only get 3000km, maybe 4000Km .........at a push.
However..........this depends on the bike you have and the animal you become when you get onto it. I have two 610 Huskies and the older one (2000, LT610) I know will do alot better on tyres than my '09.
Personally grip is more important to me than tyre life when the need needs to be and the same goes for tyre life.
So change/adapt your riding style to suit the need/urge and your tyres will wear accordingly.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 04:41:07 pm »
Agreed with Alan on tyre life and grip. I use a Mitas E-09 on the back and am happy with it but I know that on my '09 Huskey I'll only get 3000km, maybe 4000Km .........at a push.
However..........this depends on the bike you have and the animal you become when you get onto it. I have two 610 Huskies and the older one (2000, LT610) I know will do alot better on tyres than my '09.
Personally grip is more important to me than tyre life when the need needs to be and the same goes for tyre life.
So change/adapt your riding style to suit the need/urge and your tyres will wear accordingly.

You must be really drilling that poor E09 on the TE610 !  :eek7: I get that and a bit more from them on my HP2 and I wring its neck. The E09 is a really strong tyre, esp the Dakar version.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 06:51:21 pm »
Ordered another MT43.

I'm addicted to traction, and while I can give up any time I like, just one more time wont hurt  :biggrin:

Offline TK

• Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »
If I get more than 4000 clicks on the E-09 I will be well chuffed. The TKC only got me 3000km and the original Karoo not even 1900km. And I don't see myself as an agresive rider.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2012, 10:02:28 pm »
I also prefer grip to mileage  :ricky: So long as it is not ridiculously low - Karoos are just pathetic on the rear. Still like TKC's as well as the Mitas E09 and 10. Also happy with the 908 on the rear of the Husky at the moment but a very hard tyre without much flex.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:32 pm »
Just something to consider:

The MT43 is basically half the price of the Mitas 09.

I can get 3000k's of pure riding bliss out of the trials tyre (I think I'll put the old one back on and ride it a few more trips given the way the Karoo performed on Sunday). 

Will I be able to get 6000k's out of the 09's? 

But even if I could, the grip wont be in the same league.

Thats ultimately why I decided to order another.

But it still doesnt solve the long distance tar problem.  I need an unpopular 50/50 tyre that isn't crap (popular tyres seem to have their prices jacked up).

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2012, 12:24:32 am »
Ok the search continues and I have just fitted a Mitas CO2 on the rear for the trip to the EC Bash in Baviaans - heard alot about this tyre and my lightie has had them on his KDX200 ... have thought of them being too purely off-road orientated ... but was persuaded after a conversation with Wolweseun who uses them on his 650 Monstero so let the games begin  :ricky:
(Oh and at less than half the price of the D908 I had on is a no brainer even if it does not prove to be the answer - even my Nguni Great Dane thought it was a good deal  :D)