Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: To go Armed or Not?  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Rider392

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
To go Armed or Not?
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:06:37 am »
 ???
Question: Is it advisable to carry a firearm when you go for a ride? I'm not talking about being on the bike for say, anything up to 2/3 hours, but, being out for the day or when going on multi day rides.
What does the majority of WDs do?
Honda xl500s,Blaster,Kawasaki Z1100

Offline King Louis

Re: To go Armed or Not?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:22 am »
Just got to quickly go and fetch some popcorn now.... :mwink:

Spoke to Chuck, he says yes! He uses a throttle lock as he shoots right handed. :imaposer:

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03:32 am »
I carry ALWAYS!
Pass this way once!

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:47:02 am »
Hell yeaa, and remember the helmet cam. We want to see some action brother. If you want we can even  recommend some places where you should "stay away" from. 
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:49:42 am »
It really depends on where you live and work. Or ride.

I am fortunate that where I live in Cape Town it is not necessary. I used to pack heat often, but that was years ago. Where I work (Cape Town foreshore) is also safe. And for work I'm in the sticks, ie, Nam, Lesotho, etc. Safe as well. Riding in WC and NC platteland: Safe!

But if I'd lived/rode in northern KZN, North-West, Mpumalanga it might have been different.

For the life of me I can't see how anyone can draw, aim and fire a sidearm while riding. How do you carry it? A defensive firearm that cannot be drawn within a second or two is close to useless - unless you're secured behind a safe perimeter.

"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:11 am »
Jeezes people .........who de hell carries guns while riding bike?... :o
This is not Iraq you know?
Helmet, gloves, jacket, neck brace, ipod, gun, gps...............with this much effort I'd rather just get in my car. ::)

Offline IRISH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:50 am »
Further to the question: Where do you carry it so that it can be utilised when necessary. Tank-bag, breast pocket, hip, where? All of these are not easy to get to quickly, however I think that the only time you will really need it is at a break-down or puncture in which case it could be released from its secure position while the problem is being attended to.

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:08:02 am »
wow, that thought never even crossed my mind  :o

and I grew up in the flats!!!

are things really that bad?
I love my bike..................

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:10:04 am »
Ek verneem die STen ouens ry gewapen sodat hulle by die GS'e kan verbyskiet >:D :imaposer:

Offline ThomTom

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:03 am »
I have experience of being hijacked and of being in an armed robbery (a second time), and have some bullet scars to show for it.  For a while I carried a .38 special with me all the time; movies, work, etc.  It is mess as not all places gun friendly.  My best advice, avoidance of sticky situations is a better option, carrying a gun can give you a false sense of security; when it happens, it happens very fast and you will often not be able to react in time.  you also do not want to be in a shootout were someone emties a pistol on you; it is not like in the movies where someone drops dead with one shot; even if you hit them the bullets will keep coming.

It is worth your while talking through potential dangerous situations with your family; Get into and stick to good habits; do not use auto banks in remote places, do not fill petrol at night, etc and many other examples.  I think most of us will be targeted more often than you think.

I do take my .38 with me I stay over alone at the farm etc.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:24:54 am »

you got tendencies brutha, you moved to a better place and now only pack KY  :biggrin: 8)

Agree this nonsense have never crossed my mind either.

Kola?

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:33:40 am »
IMHO if you ride bike in places where you feel you need to carry a firearm:

- Go ride in other areas
- If you have to go there use a car (and then carry your firearm if you feel it is necessary)

Practical carry wearing ATGATT will be a bit of a challenge.
By the time you get to your firearm you will be dead or the threat will be long gone.

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 10:42:12 am »

Hey we dont live in Disney Land we live in ZULULAND!  :mwink:
Pass this way once!

Offline Doringboom

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 11:13:37 am »
Nee fk, ek weet darem nie of n skietyster op n baaik n praktiese kombinasie is nie of die ander party skiet jou vrek of jy val jou vrek so in die ry terwyl jy sukkel om aan te l >:D Ek dink n mens moet in geval van nood maar eerder op jou eie ryvermo en op die baaik se vermo (probeer) staatmaak :ricky:

Ek het in 1993, in daardie tyd toe Chris Hani geskiet is, die Fanie Botha voetslaanroete tussen Sabie en Graskop (4 dae lank as ek reg onthou) gestap met n skietyster (.38 Special) in my rugsak uit pure paaraatgeit. Dit was n moerse straf!

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:41 am »
Ek verneem die STen ouens ry gewapen sodat hulle by die GS'e kan verbyskiet >:D :imaposer:
:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:54:32 am »
Nee fk, ek weet darem nie of n skietyster op n baaik n praktiese kombinasie is nie of die ander party skiet jou vrek of jy val jou vrek so in die ry terwyl jy sukkel om aan te l >:D Ek dink n mens moet in geval van nood maar eerder op jou eie ryvermo en op die baaik se vermo (probeer) staatmaak :ricky:

Ek het in 1993, in daardie tyd toe Chris Hani geskiet is, die Fanie Botha voetslaanroete tussen Sabie en Graskop (4 dae lank as ek reg onthou) gestap met n skietyster (.38 Special) in my rugsak uit pure paaraatgeit. Dit was n moerse straf!

Jy weet dat dit jou minder as f***l sou gehelp het, ne?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:54:54 am by Jacko »
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 12:35:59 pm »
From a practical point of view it should be in a "custom holster pocket" under your right tit. A HUGE zip tag for easy pulling & you in business.
Just dont fall on it...you will break ribs... ;D

I like the idea of carrying...we should all own at least one manstopper gun with massive ammo stock :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline IRISH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 12:45:44 pm »
It would be good to hear from guys who have been in situations where carrying a firearm was of any use, particularly on a bike. Would pepper-spray not be a better option. No assault charges or police investigations.

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Race Dog
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 12:47:48 pm »
ek het net gisteraand hieroor gedink. gaan die naweek op n langerige trip en het gewonder of ek my pistool moet saamry, maar die vraag is hoe en waar. om te skiet terwyl jy ry met gloves aan sal byna onmoontlik wees, maar wat van as jy moet stop en daar is probleme... Maar dan weer, wat maak ek met die ding in die aand as ek by die sutherland hotel sit en brannacolas drink...

ek het deur n klomp kark gegaan om my pistool te kry - drie jaar gewag vir my lisensie, en nou le die ding meeste van die tyd in die kluis by die huis. wat help dit....?
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

morpheus

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »
As mentioned by a previous poster a gun fight is not like in the movies in real life.

I was a cop for 6 years and was involved in more than a dozen gun fights. In most cases I knew what was happening before I went in and so was ready.

I also picked up more than one gun owner shot with their own gun. Not because they could not use it, but because they were caught by surprise, outnumbered etc. I am not against guns but just know it is not the be all and end all.

Just to give you and illustration, I was present when a bank robber was shot in the heart, he fired another 30 rounds from his AK47 after the fatal hit before dying. It ain't the movies.

M