Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: To go Armed or Not?  (Read 4279 times)

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
Re: To go Armed or Not?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »
wow, that thought never even crossed my mind  :o

and I grew up in the flats!!!

are things really that bad?
Hey we dont live in Disney Land we live in ZULULAND!  :mwink:

eish, lemme tell my homies you call them a bunch of mickey mice, they sort your zulu sticks quick quick. Besides, my homies look way uglier than your shield weilding 'kids on the block'

wow, that thought never even crossed my mind  :o

you got tendencies brutha, you moved to a better place and now only pack KY  :biggrin: 8)

Agree this nonsense have never crossed my mind either.

:biggrin: dammit, there's no arguing with logic!!!
I love my bike..................

Offline Go Big

• Race Dog
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 01:20:29 pm »
Pros and cons.

Can tell you stories of guys having guns that saved their lives while sleeping in tents at a campsite at night on a bike trip. Then it makes sense to have it hey.

Just because you carry it on the bike dont mean you have to only use it there. The same would then apply to "why carry a cell phone on a bike", you might as well not have it cause you cant use it on the bike.

Its a personal thing.
THE FASTER YOU GO THE MORE YOU SEE!!!

Offline Rooikat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 01:23:29 pm »
Thought about the practicality of carrying while riding/driving a long time ago and came to the logical conclusion.

But when I'm at home, the 9 mil is never more than two steps away and all doors are locked (I live alone). At night, the alarm is on, my bedroom door is locked and the 9 mil under the pillow after the recent break in (while I was away, fortunately).

The most vulnerable time is when I stop to open the gate - try not to drive at night. The street where I live is quiet, with no shelter for potential hijackers. I drive fast and watch my rear view mirror. Following me without being detected is not going to be easy.

Isn't it a disgrace that we have to live like this to stay safe in our lovely country? >:(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:30:25 pm by Rooikat »
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Online ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 01:27:04 pm »
OK were is Shark  :deal:
FTS

Offline Andre.Bike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW R1200GS Adventure LC
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 01:36:02 pm »
Must say I carry my 38 when I go on any Trip that is longer than yust to town. I carry it in my backpack. The idea is not to use it while driving, but when I have a flat tyre etc. Better save than sorry.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. The only person that is with us our entire life, is ourselves-be ALIVE while you are alive. :-)
2019KTM 1290R, 2017 Bmw R1200 GSA LC, 2018 Honda Africa Twin, 2014(Sold),  Bmw R1200GSA LC(Sold)
2011 Bmw R1200GSA(sold), Honda CRF 450R(sold)
2010 Bmw F800GS(sold)
2009 F650 Dakar(sold) 1984 RZ50(sold)1999 PE175(sold)

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 01:53:36 pm »
wow, that thought never even crossed my mind  :o

Hey we dont live in Disney Land we live in ZULULAND!  :mwink:

eish, lemme tell my homies you call them a bunch of mickey mice, they sort your zulu sticks quick quick. Besides, my homies look way uglier than your shield weilding 'kids on the block'

:imaposer: :thumleft:
Ia gree. you win
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:54:35 pm by Battlestar »
Pass this way once!

Offline McOets

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 01:53:50 pm »
I don't have a gun but if i had one i would always carry it just in case, so now i just carry an expandable batton and backup blade.
Whats the worst that can happen?!?!

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 02:45:24 pm »
You guys seriously havent seen any one that has fallen at speed whilst having a Gun on the Hip?

It tears a new arse crevasse  and sadly it doesnt leave any options of stiches as it removes so much skin and meat and fat!

Not Pretty!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »
It would be good to hear from guys who have been in situations where carrying a firearm was of any use, particularly on a bike. Would pepper-spray not be a better option. No assault charges or police investigations.
depends on whom you spray... Winnie will take exception. :deal:

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 03:05:45 pm »
You guys seriously havent seen any one that has fallen at speed whilst having a Gun on the Hip?

It tears a new arse crevasse  and sadly it doesnt leave any options of stiches as it removes so much skin and meat and fat!

Not Pretty!

was the gun OK?  >:D
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Rider392

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:38 pm »
Pros and cons.

Can tell you stories of guys having guns that saved their lives while sleeping in tents at a campsite at night on a bike trip. Then it makes sense to have it hey.

Just because you carry it on the bike dont mean you have to only use it there. The same would then apply to "why carry a cell phone on a bike", you might as well not have it cause you cant use it on the bike.

Its a personal thing.

I agree, very personal. This old saying still makeS a lot of sense today:
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN AND NOT NEED IT THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.
Honda xl500s,Blaster,Kawasaki Z1100

Offline Rags

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »
Dunno, a family member was hi jacked and shot with his own gun, and he is not some palookah. And apparently this happens quite a bit. I don't think on an adrenaline rush with cloves trying to release or get a gun from somewhere is going to work much better. But to take with you if you go camping could make sense.

terminator1

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 04:51:54 pm »
The average man in the street, who if confronted by armed assailants, will probably come off second best, gun or no gun. Actually having a gun may be worse. To aim and shoot with 10cc of adrenalin in your system is a big ask unless you are trained and regularly practised. Then you have the fight or flight factor and the hesitation to kill.

All in all, 99% of gun owners are farked in that situation.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 05:14:51 pm »
This whole debate is insane............., funny to read, but still insane. ;)

Offline GRUNT

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 05:27:49 pm »
The average man in the street, who if confronted by armed assailants, will probably come off second best, gun or no gun. Actually having a gun may be worse. To aim and shoot with 10cc of adrenalin in your system is a big ask unless you are trained and regularly practised. Then you have the fight or flight factor and the hesitation to kill.

All in all, 99% of gun owners are farked in that situation.
This is so true and unfortunatley the average man/woman does not train or practice regularly but have a false sense of security, thinking the gun will solve all problems. As an instructor I sometimes shudder at the incompetence and handling skills of new students, that being said carrying a handgun is a schlep at the best of times. safekeeping being a priority. I don't carry when on the bike but when my family is with me I'm armed all the time.
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 05:40:05 pm »
A rifle halter can come handy  :biggrin:

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 06:07:24 pm »
Dit laat my nou dink aan Long Way Round en Up toe Charley en Ewan so getrain het vir worst case scenario.

Die onbekende kan n mens nogals katvoet maak...ondervinding in ander se gevalle ook
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »
I sometimes carry a concealed weapon when touring around on my own. This is for when you set up camp, but also for a case like when my brother was chased on the Bothaville road by some okes in a Cortina 3.0LT, as he was on a Suz GS450 he could not outrun the car and eventually managed to turn up a farmroad and into a field of whatever.

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
  • Race Dog
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 09:35:49 pm »
 :eek7: It's actually a very valid debate or question, but sad that we live in a society where you have to think about these kind of issues. Don't think there's a correct or incorrect answer.....
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 09:52:45 pm »
On a ride once we were passing through a dangerous area close to a township minding our own business when a bunch of a-holes in a car started to deliberately mess with us. It was starting to get dangerous and things were going South in a hurry when one of the guys (he shall remain unamed) zipped open his jacket and reached inside as if going for his piece.

Never saw a golf take off so quickly before ;D

Point is that in that case it served as a deterrent and got us out of a dangerous situation.

I have also broken down, or even just stopped in the sticks and before long someone or a group of misfits comes cruising past. Many times I got the vibe that I was being weighed up and that they wanted to jump my bones. The fact that I am big, fat and generally mean probably counted in my favor.

Maybe it is only a Gauteng thing-who knows. I would, however, rather have an option than just hope for the best.