Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: To go Armed or Not?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Re: To go Armed or Not?
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 10:12:21 pm »
I have never even considered riding armed. I have never felt unsafe, even when sleeping next to the road. I'm glad I don't live in an area where I feel threatened all the time.

Just out of Curiosity - what does the law say about riding riding with a shotgun / rifle strapped to the bike? Will make for cool "Africa" photos! :D

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
  • Race Dog
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:09 pm »
 :laughing4: That'll be ultimately stylish!
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 10:31:25 pm »
It's not just a SA thing, this carrying of firearms, about 60 years ago some Germans toured to Russia, Holland and France and they carried guns with them.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:33 pm »
:laughing4: That'll be ultimately stylish!

I have a pic of Wouter's 800GS with a rifle strapped to the side. :D Looks Cool! 8)

Offline ButchH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 11:36:26 pm »
wow, that thought never even crossed my mind  :o

and I grew up in the flats!!!

are things really that bad?
Hey we dont live in Disney Land we live in ZULULAND!  :mwink:
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline ButchH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 11:46:57 pm »
It's not just a SA thing, this carrying of firearms, about 60 years ago some Germans toured to Russia, Holland and France and they carried guns with them.
Must have been a grudge match
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 11:53:38 pm »
I have been hearing a lot about okes on mountain bikes being held up at gunpoint especially in JHB, there has been a lot of debate about weather okes should take precautions to defend themselves against syndicates who are after the bikes which can cost a pretty penny.

I have not heard any reports of this happening to anyone on a motorbike in CT.. lets hope it never comes to a point where we have to carry a gun, personally this would make me nervous, even with my military training these okes jumping out of a bush with a gun are far too unpredictable.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Lancer

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin - Say no more
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 12:14:30 am »
There is no correct answer to this question, however if you are "packing" you should always look to getting out of trouble without needing your firearm, than being windgat just because you're armed. Carrying is a question of personal preference, just as is the matter of where to carry your firearm.

After a nasty roadrage encounter with a little wanker in a BMW 3 series, I went out and purchased some Pepper Spray, which I have not had to use subsequently, but which I do carry with me on the bike at all times.

The best method of defence is common-sense. On a bike you have manoeuverability and power and you can get away from most situations (and so you should).
People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Offline Mr. Python

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 12:26:13 am »
He who goes unarmed in paradise better be sure that's where he is  >:D

I think that unless you get into some kind of a chase, the kak is going down when you're stopped or camped.
On the move - one of the 1st rules i learned here is "the frottle is your friend"

The mere presence of a firearm has a calming effect on most situations without having to fire it. But in some situations could escalate

TR you can strap your shottie to the bike but it'd have to be covered/concealed

Practically speaking my jacket has i 2 way zip but it is short enough to lift and draw. (haven't tried on the move yet)
Shooting gloved is fine, feels weird and the slide can bind on a bulky glove so make your 1st shot count

If you're feeling nervous
what about upgrading
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline ZAR

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 12:57:01 am »
On a ride once we were passing through a dangerous area close to a township minding our own business when a bunch of a-holes in a car started to deliberately mess with us. It was starting to get dangerous and things were going South in a hurry when one of the guys (he shall remain unamed) zipped open his jacket and reached inside as if going for his piece.

Never saw a golf take off so quickly before ;D

Point is that in that case it served as a deterrent and got us out of a dangerous situation.

I have also broken down, or even just stopped in the sticks and before long someone or a group of misfits comes cruising past. Many times I got the vibe that I was being weighed up and that they wanted to jump my bones. The fact that I am big, fat and generally mean probably counted in my favor.

Maybe it is only a Gauteng thing-who knows. I would, however, rather have an option than just hope for the best.

+1

I am ALWAYS armed.....  :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:01:24 am by ZAR »
When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty!

A dubious plan decisively executed is more likely to succeed than a very good plan tentatively executed.

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.  To one without faith, no explanation is possible.               - Thomas Aquinas (1225 1274) -  2013 -  Suzuki DL650 2007; 2012-2013 Suzuki DL1000 2009 Crashed; 2009-2012 Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold; 2009-2012 PGO G-MAX 125cc 2009 Sold; 1990-1990 Suzuki GSX750 1982 Sold; 1988-1991 Suzuki RG50F

Offline King Louis

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 09:38:36 am »

That is correct! For once, I agree with you! :mwink:

Then again, they didn't do it on Yammies... :imaposer:

Offline Icemann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • It's the Journey that matter, not the destination.
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 10:54:17 am »
For somebody not trained for firearm combat situations I recommend taking a gun without any bullets.... Detergent

I once was attacked by a mob of tsotsies with pangas. They came quickly and screamed at me and my friend to lie down.  I dived to the side, pulled the .38 special from my pants, pointing it in their general direction and screamed with an allmighty voice: "Today I will kill all you Bliksems!". It worked like a charm! They ran away like rabbits.... Pulling the trigger to kill, that is a different story...
It happens VERY, VERY fast......no time to think

The suprise have to be in your favor and you have to look scary!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:59:28 am by Icemann »

terminator1

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:50 am »
For somebody not trained for firearm combat situations I recommend taking a gun without any bullets.... Detergent

I once was attacked by a mob of tsotsies with pangas. They came quickly and screamed at me and my friend to lie down.  I dived to the side, pulled the .38 special from my pants, pointing it in their general direction and screamed with an allmighty voice: "Today I will kill all you Bliksems!". It worked like a charm! They ran away like rabbits.... Pulling the trigger to kill, that is a different story...

good idea  :thumleft:

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:26 am »
Why not take a water pistol  :imaposer:

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 11:10:56 am »
WWII 2SDC! I think its slightly Different!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:31 am »

This is actually a very irresponsible thing to do. Only take out a gun if you are ready and prepared to pull the trigger. People taking out a gas pistol have been shot by attackers as they thought it was a real gun, thus posing a threat to them. Don't make a target of yourself.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:24:52 am by Bie »
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Stofdonkie

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 11:23:29 am »
I'm always armed.

How the hell do you connect to the handlebars otherwise ...  ???
Carpe BM.

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 11:25:19 am »
And never mind the Human population. I have come across many an over inquisitive troop of BIG Baboons and not to mention ferrule dogs! Got the scars to prove it!
Pass this way once!

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 11:30:37 am »
Check "The Badger's" avatar for how to pack your tool  :thumleft:
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 11:35:34 am »

This is actually a very irresponsible thing to do. Only take out a gun if you are ready and prepared to pull the trigger. People taking out a gas pistol have been shot by attackers as they thought it was a real gun, thus posing a threat to them. Don't make a target of yourself.
And if they decide to get clever and report you to the cops you will be chraged!
Pass this way once!