A ride report in words....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
Let me be the first to say
:useless:

now that that is out of the way...the camera on my current phone is crap beyond comprhension.

These are my words:

Yesterday afternoon saw my meetings finishing an hour early. I thought it to be a waste to go back to the office for 30 minutes, so I made my way home. Being 4pm, made for good going in the traffice. Instead of taking the slipway left to my house, I carried on straight on Beyers Naude, hitting a left at the dirt road that connects Beyers naude to the area where I live. I made my way to an area with some of the original smallholdings that forms part of Ruimsig. Itâ??s really pretty, and being 5 minutes from my house itâ??s amazing how much this feels like a country dirt road.. Well .. in the country. Took a right into an apparent dead end, squeezing between a felled tree stump and a wall where I can hear the rottweiler I just passed at the gate, breathing through the crack in the wall in between vicious barks.

In front is an open veld with some single-track to the left it leads to an open section next to the Ruimsig athletics stadium, in front is a huge sand quarry, that if it was not in operation, would make for some very exciting riding, think erzberg but on 1/10 scale.
I followed the track left and found some nice ups and downs of various degrees and difficulties. There was even some mud which I didnâ??t feel like attempting.

Played around for 15 minutes and did a loop in the veld again where I found some plastic bikes that almost broke their necks looking at this dude on his plated big trailie.. they left, and so did I. Made my way on the roads that skirt parts of the Golf course, got to the main road, where I jumped the sidewalk and disappeared into the veld. Followed some more single-track and ended up at the small river crossing I have done about 3 times now. Some mud on the run-down to the stream and then water of indeterminable depth. I sat on my bike contemplating the best line of attack, when I suddenly see the two dudes on their plastic bikes behind me, and their mate on a kwat. Well. Apparently now I just have to go.

I made it almost through the stream (it is not a matter of straight through, you have to turn 90 degrees mid-stream to get to the exit point) just as my front wheel clears the water, I stall and lose footing, ungracefully dismounting my bloody heavy bike which decided to lay down. Embarrassed, I pick up the bike, saying to myselfâ?¦ â??come-on adrenaline.. this thing weighs a tonâ? I get the bike up, start it, walk it out the water and stop on some semi-flat ground to mount again.

Insult to injury
The plastic bikers and kwat mate come through the water and the leader stops next to me â??are you OK???â? 
Me: â??Yeah, sure, just on my way homeâ? Big smile on my face, but Iâ??m thinking, what exactly are you referring to??? My mental health or me and my bike??

The second plastic bike does the sameâ?¦

I mount my bike again and make my way home on some single-track, emerging from the veld amidst a queue of cages waiting to turn..more puzzled faces.

Got home, inspect the bikeâ?¦remove green slime from bike panels.. Take off the wet boots and pants outside the houseâ?¦still big smile on my face..