Dust in 1200GS Headlight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beemer man

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Does anyone have a similar problem, while admiring my scoot complete with rude whiskey in hand last night I noticed a large amount  of dust, laying inside the bottom of the headlight unit, not sure why I have not noticed before, here comes the rub, I thought no problem strip the headlight out and clean, which I did after about an hour of removing BMW bits off my Touratech bike, and then to my utter dismay discovered you cannot strip the headlight down, the lens is sealed onto the body, after some head scratching and another rude whiskey, I decided the only way to try and clean it was to put a little dish washing liquid into the unit with hot water and shake it up, this seemed to work reasonably well, but you still can't get it completely clean, and there is no way to get a cloth inside, the dust appears to get in via 2 little rubber elbows at the top of the headlight not sure what they are for? venting or something, I also notice the park light which is in a rubber housing which pushes into the back, does not exactly seal snugly, does anyone have a solution to this very irratating problem?