120 day road trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanley from Oz

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
My 4 month trip to South Africa, Botswana and Namibia is soon to happen. Air tickets bought, done lots of research via past and present Wild Dog articles so I’ve got a fairly good idea of road conditions.
I fly into Johannesburg on 29th July 2014 and plan to buy a BM 1200GS (2005-2009 model). I’ll fit it out to my needs and do all the official paper work registering the bike etc. I’ve planned out a rough itinerary starting and finishing in Johannesburg. As I’m here for the ride, I am not bothered if the road is dirt or tar so long as its interesting (no motorways if possible). I’m in no rush to get from one place to another so if I find there is a nicer route to take I’ll go that way. My trip will be about 12000 km.
This is the outline of my trip. Would be very interested to hear any comments or suggestion.
Johannesburg  going north to Vaalwater – Tom Burke border crossing into Botswana –Serowe-Orapa-Maun-Gweta-Nata-Kasane river boat crossing to Zambia and Victoria Falls. Victoria Falls –Katima into Namiba-Popa Falls- Rundu – Grootfontein-Ondangwa-Opuwo-Epupa Falls-Opuwo-Sesfontein-Bergsig-Khorixas-Henties-Swadopmund-Soliataire-Sesriem-C27 to Helmeringhausen-C14 to Goageb. Find a pretty route down to Fish River Canyon - Ai-Ais-Vioolsdrif into South Africa.Down to Springbox then across the Bokkeveldberge to Calvinia-Ceres-Cape Town.  The route back to Johannesburg is completely open to suggestions. The only things that are fixed are my flight in and return flight back to Oz.

I'm hoping there is a map in the attachment.

Attachments

• DSC_1391c.jpg
    DSC_1391c.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 374