1200 GS screens - disappointed, looking for smaller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sedate

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I'm 1.83m tall and I've come from a BMW R1100S where the little mini screen would sort out my torso and leave half of my neck and my head in the wind. Loved it. I wear earplugs so any speed was a joy.

I sold the lovely S to go dirt surfing a little and have had my R1200GS now since December. Bought it with the standard GS screen on - adjusted the thing to death and hated each setting more than the last. I got buffeted to death - instead of the quiet of a bigger screen (my old man rides a ST1300 with a bus driver's window in front) or the whistle of a smaller screen where one's head is fully in the wind I got a loud "Whap, whap, whap" and my head would do the unintentional left/right jig.

Soooo, as soon as I get my redit limit upped at the bank I hear about Haman Autorrad having a moving special where some spares are being sold at next to nothing (for BMW that's pricey, instead of sell your wife stuff)  Instead of the aftermarket Kappa from Topbox or Wild@Heart screen I was deciding between I get the opportunity to lay my mitts on a brand new GSA screen plus mounting bar for R400 more than the cheapest aftermarket..... so being the loyal BMW schmuck that I are I buy it and fit it.

It takes a while but finally the bugger's on. First ride I leave the adjustment halfway expecting miracles. Same thing!! Just instead of left to right head movements I now get front to back and the noise is admittedly 1.6 decibals quieter but FFS! I expect armchair quiet from what I read and hear about the GSA screens. I now have a GS and GSA screen and I hate them both.

Anyway to my question. I wonder if anyone knows of an aftermarket screen that will fit the 2008 1200 GS that shrouds the instruments and perhaps has a little lip that will ensure the air doesn't reach my lower torso but will keep my head in clean air. I don't want to take the screen off completely for the instruments sake and I suspect that because of the more upright position I'd struggle to hold on at 150km/h plus but when I stand up (at any speed) it's like a revelation - a quiet whistle instead of the raucous dirty air chaos.

Am I the only person to experience this? I've not seen anyone else complain about the GSA scree although I'm amazed they haven't.