1957 BMW R50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gswannabee

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I finally found my dream classic BMW - an original 1957 BMW R50

This was the ad:
"On offer is a 1957 BMW R50 motorcycle. Matching engine and frame numbers, and in very good condition. New stainless pipes and silencers, alloy rims, carrier, new
side stand and Pegusa seat, new accelerator twist unit. A very clean and original bike and a good reliable runner. It is SAVVA dated and
all papers are in order including valid license."

I went to have a look on Thursday and it was love at first sight :love10: And today at 4pm she was in my driveway  :biggrin:

There's a lot of work to be done to get her 100% perfect again which is mostly cosmetic. Needs a complete respray etc. Previous owner has said there are no mechanical issues. I haven't ridden it yet - tomorrow morning 6am is our first ride  ;D (It does start on the first kick and sounds healthy  :thumleft:)

I don't yet know the complete history of the bike but we do know that it was in service with the police force in the '50's and '60's. The sirens etc. were removed about 6 years ago. I wonder if she was part of Squad Cars https://otrarchive.blogspot.com/2009/04/squad-cars-sa.html  :laughing4:

Some pics after a quick wash: