1977 Suzuki 185TS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJCombrink

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Well gents after a lot of searching it looks like I've found my first 2 stroke! It even qualifies for the VMX!

This beauty (she is actually in really bad condition but what do you expect for a bike that was found rotting on a farm 300kms outside of CPT?!) is now parked in the garage, ready for some serious TLC in the next few - well as long as it takes for me to get her running - weeks!

I don't think that the previous owner know just how old she is.. It took a lot of Googling and matching up of 'body' parts to determine what she was!

Here's a pic of the 'showroom' model:

url_zps4e313f1b.jpeg

I have never worked on a motorbike.

I am keen to learn and shall do so with this old lady!

This' what she looks like at the moment:

• The plastics are so old that they are 'perishing' on the front mudflap.
  • The springs are completely gone in the front shocks (presumably the seals too).
  • The carb needs a clean out, but I'm assured that the engine's 100% top and bottom.
  • The break lever is snapped in half - although there is a hand break. I kid you not! Very cool.
  • There are 2 kick stands - one for each side.
  • There is quite a bit of paint work that has been done. By pain work, I mean someone literally painted her with a brush. Yellow!
  • Spots of rust here and there, but it seems to mostly be surface stuff. Speckles.
  • There is no battery and the loom looks like it's buggered.

I've not really had a lot of time (I'm too tired now from all the driving!) to comb over her, but I will update in the week with details.

Lots of pics and a journal of my experiences to follow!

Some teaser pictures for now:

IMG_2467_zpse4f10727.jpg

IMG_2468_zps5c5bc85d.jpg

IMG_2469_zps9a1118a7.jpg