2001 Yamaha YZ125 rebuild/refresh UPDATED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brinkman

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Good day to you all.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

I bought a little project a while ago in the form of a Yamaha Yz125 and I’m in the process of a rebuilt/refresh of the little beaut.

I’ve been dreaming about a 2 stroke project like this for more than 8 years since the guy opposite the street from me took on exactly the same type of project with a KX250.
Anyway I sold off all of my camera equipment and bought a 2001 Yamaha Yz125 in Langebaan. Was a really nice trip, full of excitement.

Bike wasn’t in as good condition as I thought it would be, but I went ahead and bought it, seeing potential and I was in the mindset of rebuilding the bike I bought in any case.
I must say a MX bike on the back of a Bantam gets a lot of attention! Even had a guy whistle when I drove past!

Broke as can be, but I just had to buy a Red Bull with my last few Randelas for this photo.

Few problems right of the bat. Tank is leaking and with further inspection when I got home unrepairable. Water pump is leaking coolant, power valve linkage rubber dust seal ripped so bottom of motor all covered in oil. Radiators in a state of sadness. SAD SAD! That’s what I knew about at the stage.

Good stuff. Invoices of about R10000 in work done over the last 2 years.

Brand new Mitas (lekker) tyres front and back. New brake pads. New chain and sprockets. Top end redone in December (still waiting on that invoice. Was for R6000.) All gaskets look like new. Bodywork looks ok-ish

So the first day I took my first ride the suspension was dropped as low as it can go and it wasn’t that nice of a ride.

Seat feel and looks terrible. YZ with a broken back almost.

That reminds me of this  :laughing4:

:laughing4:

Coolant was a worry as well, because I knew I could only go so far before having to top up again. That evening I set my sag, compression, rebound and fork height to standard specs so the next day was a lot more fun.

Second day, even with the problems I enjoyed myself immensely! This little thing RIPS and handles like a little ninja, extremely agile! I was already starting to feel better about my judgement call I made in Langebaan.

See Gopro VIDEO of my second day riding below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbpvVsUsFj0

https://youtu.be/rbpvVsUsFj0

See which links of my videos works best for you.

Hope it works...

After that day I did the usual, sparkplug, air filter clean, brake fluid replacement, carb clean and service, torqued all bolts I could get to and general fixing of bodywork and cleaning.
I replaced the gearbox oil, was silver. Flushed it twice with some Shell motor oil and put in some VERY expensive Motul transmission oil.

Then after that it started fouling plugs like crazy as soon as it goes into its main circuit.  Even at standstill if idled it’s OK, but as soon as it’s revved a little higher it would just smoke a shite LOAD and die and will only start again after the plugged was cleaned. Few days later I drained the oil and it came out like a caramel milkshake. NOT GOOD!

[/URL
[URL=https://s103.photobucket.com/user/Bonsai_Chimica/media/IMG_0552_zpsu2maqqod.jpg.html]

So after removing the sub frame, checking and cleaning the carb probably 8 times, experimenting with needle height, setting float level with my little home-made Dumpy tool, replacing needle and seat (was okay just looked “GAAR”) to no avail my diagnostics skills started working.

Seems to me because of the load of smoke when revved it is getting transmission oil into the combustion chamber through a leaking crank seal. That combined with coolant in my tranny from the leaking water pump is causing my plug to foul.
That is my conclusion. Hopefully it will work when back together.

So I pulled the motor and ordered parts through Jan at Yamaha Helderberg, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME service!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :ricky:

I already got the parts for the water pump. But the Crank seal and Powervalve linkage rubber dust seal is on backorder.  So I decided to give the motor a rest until parts arrived to prevent any more unnecessary confusion.

While waiting for the backorder parts and seeing that the motor was already out I decided I might as well give the frame some treatment. Still had some of the original paint on there in the hidden spots and all the exposed parts were painted with a paint brush. They used the exact same paint my Dad used on his gas can!! No pride… Looked absolutely terrible. No way I’ll ever be happy with this type of work.

So next up was doing research on stripping paint, setup of compressor and spray gun. My dad jumped in and offered some white 2K paint and primer he used to touch up his Ranger. Gave me some really helpful instructions and tips as well. What a guy!!
Got a quote for R650 for sandblasting and decided bugger that I’ll get some paint stripper and put in some elbow grease (NOT KNOWING JUST HOW MUCH!!).
Started studying again so can’t afford luxuries like sand blasting.

It took me 4 days to get the frame down to bare metal with all the nooks and crannies up to standard. What’s the old saying, PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE, so I had this mindset of the 6 P’s going into this. Although it is budget build, there’s no way I’m going to half ass it through this project. Body felt like it was hit by a train and hands would cramp up from all the work with the steel wool.

Next up was primer. Came out extremely nice for a first time I think.
Then paint. Learned a few lessons. LIKE don’t hang 2 parts within a 100 meter distance from one another. Those clouds of overspray will track the other pieces down and make them rough as hell. So from an extremely glossy frame to shark skin I buffed it down and I’M SO HAPPY with my glossy finish!!

Made a little time lapse video of the spray job. Youtube link posted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDS8LWl7dk

https://youtu.be/ehDS8LWl7dk

See which link of video works best for you.  :thumleft: