2011 GSA Cam Chain Sprocket Bolt came loose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fudgypup

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?  It has happened to me twice now and a friend (Isaac Feliu) three times (his is a 2010 GSA).

Last November I was riding in the desert, came to a stop to rest for a while and get a drink of water.  I went to start the engine and it wouldn't start.  I heard a lot of clacking noises on the right side.  I rode out on the back of my friend's bike and we eventually retrieved the bike and got it to my mechanic.

He said the cam chain sprocket bolt on the right side cylinder head (facing the rear of the bike) came loose.  I guess the piston hit the valve and had to be replaced, etc...  It cost me about $900 US.

Just a few weeks ago it happened again!  This time it also broke the plastic chain rail guide.  Went to start the bike and the same clacking noise.  Never any problems when running, only when starting it.  I took it back and my mechanic said the same thing happened; the cam chain sprocket bolt came loose.

My buddy's mechanic (he is in Spain) has a theory that the chain tensioner is bad and needs to be replaced.  I told my mechanic this and at first he said "no, your tensioner looks good"  But now he thinks otherwise after he was turning the rear wheel to align the valves for adjustment he had the wheel lock on him and noticed the chain tensioner pulling really hard on the chain rail guide.  He said it's very odd and has likely been my problem from the beginning.

Just sharing to see if anyone else has seen this, or to offer anyone who has some insight into how to fix it.  I'm crossing my fingers this is it because I can't keep having a bike that breaks and $900 repairs every time.

camchainsprocket_zps6c41ae63.jpg

imagejpeg_0g_zpsohbyqlku.jpg

imagejpeg_0_zpsinirbfyx.jpg

imagejpeg_1h_zpsgql8zl9z.jpg