3 weeks to ride in southern Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doogle

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I plan to fly to Johannesburg early February 2016. I will probably meet 2 other people there and ride through some of the adjacent countries. I think I would like to rent a 660 Tenere-possibly from Dualsport Adventures. I think we will be riding predominately paved roads and not camping. 2 of us are from USA. The 3rd guy is European. I have started reading forums to get ideas for places to see. I don't know much about Africa. The last time I studied Africa was when I was in grade school. I'm pretty sure over half of the countries have different names now.

We are experience riders and are retired. I have not met the European rider. But my friend has ridden with him.

What I hope to learn from this forum is places to see, possible dangers, what to avoid. I am not the museum type. I will have Garmin and OSM maps on my GPS. I hope their POI's have up to date fuel and lodging locations. I almost never book my lodging ahead. My friend can't live that way.  I've slept on picnic tables and driveways when necessary. That depends on what type of creatures are around.

We don't have any route or direction yet. We have barely discussed it. But my friend has booked his flights already. He and his wife will fly in a few weeks ahead and do some car excursions. Then he will send her home. Then it will be "Ride Time."