'96 KLX250 Rebuild -- To start in September

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skedonki

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Opening scene:

After checking out some of the rebuilds that have been done I got inspired, especialy by Grego's  :thumleft:. My ideal rebuild bike would be one that I could play in Atlantis with afterwards, maybe even attempt an enduro. I wasn't looking for an extremely powerful engine since I know I will hurt myself. Also, I was quite adamant that the bike should have disc-brakes. By keeping an eye on Gumtree I found something that would hopefully work and that was in my budget...

imag0243m.jpg

I was looking for a bit of a challenge, something that didn't just require reasssembly but also some TLC. Wether I'm in too deep with this one I don't know, but I'm excited. Most probably out of naivete  ::)

:deal: Although I will only have time to start work in September, I'll post some details already so I can start with some homework, research etc.

Here's the short of it:

The previous owner bought the bike from another guy. So I don't know the history. Previous owner apparently had lots of fun on it untill the engine stopped running/siezed. Since he has little knowledge of these things he took it to bike shop who qouted him about R9500 to get the bike up and running again. According to the mechanic the bike has a bearing knock and the crank needs to be replaced. This was the type of work I was looking for. Wether this is the only problem in the engine, I don't know.

Bike is a 1996 model. I will confirm the VIN with Suzuki South soon, but on www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/kawasaki.asp it looks a little suspect. Will see... At worst it's a grey import, but ag wat. I've got patience.

Physical check revealed:
a) Head bearings seem fine
b) Wheelbearings seem fine
c) Very little play in the swingarm
d) Fork inner tubes looks good, but seals are shot
imag0234ww.jpg

e) Spokes are rusted
f) Front rim has a nasty smiley...
imag0237a.jpg

g) Rear hub seems to have been welded ( ??? ) Owner said he "took a large jump" and had to fix the rear wheel
imag0236y.jpg

h) The cylinder sleeve doesn't look good. Whether I can hone it or nned to replace it I'll see.
imag0238c.jpg

i) The valves will need some work. I'm thinking of lapping them. Basically overhaul the head.
imag0240u.jpg

imag0241rl.jpg

j) Radiators look ok, don't know if they leak yet
imag0233c.jpg

k) I might be able to reuse the gaskets? But it's probably better to replace them
imag0242n.jpg

l) Clutch casing was cracked and fixed. I'll try and redo that.
imag0231j.jpg

m) Rear shock looks OK, but I think a rebuild and new seals will be required
imag0235ct.jpg

n) The seal on the gear lever leaks and needs replacing.

o) I can't say much about the condition of the bottom end and gearbox, that might yield some surprises. But I look forward to what I'll    learn once I'm in there...
imag0232i.jpg

I've called Suzuki South for prices on some of the parts, let's see what happens there.

And now I have enough reason to "invest" in a torque wrench  >:D

Untill further developements,
skedonki