990 Front Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxtar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So the front has been feeling a little "off" lately.... cannot explain but just feels a bit different somehow.... bike is now 12+ years old and I am sure fork has never been touched.

Anyways, I have the 210mm fork so zipped a cable tie to fork tube with fork fully extended, the zip tie settles at 155mm front stanchion bottom with bikes weight and 135mm with my weight added ... I hiked the preload to "full payload" setting and compression damping also to higher setting... did not make much difference to the measurements though but will feel stiffer I know on the road... The front sag seems excessive though.... 35%. What should this be ideally, maybe it just needs an oil change?

Question is, does the fork need a service (probably a dof question reading this now again) and can I maybe upgrade the suspension to the 245mm spec with different internals, or will it require a total suspension swop out? Maybe a stiffer progressive spring is way to go rather... any advice appreciated as always  :thumleft:

Btw I weigh around 95kg most days... ;D

Attachments

• IMG_20200924_095050.jpg
    IMG_20200924_095050.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 244