A few thoughts on some recent mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaegerKTM

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi all,

I have just installed a dynojet kit (stage 2), opened up the airbox, added a DNA airfilter and turned the air/fuel mixture screw 2.5 turns on my 2011 KLR 650 and am pleasantly surprised at the performance improvements. The bike is my daily commuter for a 50km round trip in stop/start traffic here in Cape Town.

Haven ridden the bike for a couple of days I can confirm the following:

- the bike starts much more easily needing little or no choke

- noticable power gains from about 3000 rpm to 5000 rpm - I suddenly seem to be spending a lot more time on the back wheel and am having to brake a bit earlier on some of the more fun corners on my route home  ;D. The power / torque gains are great for commuting in traffic

- I haven't noticed much of a drop-off on the top-end, I can still hold 130 km/hr quite easily without to much vibration. There is a bit more on tap (top-end is probably about 150 km/hr if the conditions are right) but I don't like thrashing my bike at those speeds

Conclusion, the mods haven't turned the KLR into a KTM but have definitely livened up the ride. For R 2000 all in and a bit of time I think it's worth doing especially if you commute quite a bit.

The recents modes also make the bike much more fun to ride off-road and am now making the wilbers progressive springs work a little bit harder now  :biggrin:

Keep it safe,

Ian