A(nother) SANI SUNDAY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildside

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
                      A(nother) SANI  SUNDAY!
                        (Southern Africa)

Not much to shout about but for me it was my first ‘must do’ ride up Sani Pass on my own bike. After realizing that bad weather wasn’t to save me, Sunday arrived and with Iong johns, thick socks, scarves and other winter woolies, I was committed.
Leaving Howick, in KZN, and heading off towards the Drakensburg left me with the great feeling of being back on my bike. There are quite a few photos as I never seem able to capture enough of the beauty in the area.

img_5093.jpg

The above photo is taken outside Underberg and Sani Pass is the lowest point on the horizon.

It was nice to hit the dirt road after a dull 116 km to Himeville. We were not surprised to see that the ‘new’ road to the Border Post hadn’t progressed much considering that construction of Phase 1 should have been complete in 2006/2007 financial year ( go S’bu! ). Decided not to spoil a day out by thinking how much over budget this fiasco is and who’s footing the bill.

The 25 km to the lower Border Post was a pleasant ride and a warm up for things to come. The Border Post was quick and easy and then onto the 7 km of what we had come here for. I had done this road many times in a 4 x 4, on foot and as a pillion (and on my backside) and was a little apprehensive about going solo.

img_5100.jpg

A hassle-free Border Post.

img_5101.jpg

img_5103.jpg

img_5105.jpg

The mountains in the background are known as the Twelve Apostles.

img_5106.jpg

img_5109.jpg

Compared to previous trips the Pass was in fairly good condition and some sort of maintenance had happened, the loose surface not being as scary as I remembered it. Another fear I had was contending with other traffic on the narrow/difficult sections. I remember well how many of the problems we had in the past (in my pillion days) was from being forced to stop in awkward places which made the going a lot harder than it would have been. Fortunately this Sunday saw very little traffic on the Pass. However I still did a bit of ‘drop and pick-up’ practice!!!
:-[
All was going well until we reached the waterfall corner. Here we experienced our first bit of ice on the road. Being on the shaded side the waterfall and the sharp bend was frozen. It was a lovely sight and the only way forward was to walk the bikes through the icy patch. Taking off, the steep gradient and loose surface seemed to get the better of me. I dropped my XT after this and on the next icy corner!! However, this gave us an opportunity to check out the stunning views and take a few photies before zig-zagging up the last few tight bends and heading over into Lesotho.

img_5111.jpg

img_5112.jpg

img_5119.jpg

img_5121.jpg

img_5126.jpg

img_5127.jpg

img_5128.jpg

img_5129.jpg

img_5133.jpg

Before relaxing at the Sani Top Chalet we took a quick ride (+/- 10 km ) up to Black Mountain to get closer to the snow.  The stunning views of a stark landscape are a reminder of what harsh conditions the Basotho people survive in. Heading back down to the Chalet we passed bikers heading further into Lesotho. Envied them but we were running out of time.

img_5137.jpg

img_5138.jpg

img_5142.jpg

img_5143.jpg

img_5146.jpg

img_5147.jpg

img_5148.jpg

It was rare to enjoy a warm-up drink without the usual piercing wind that comes across the mountain. A short relax and a chat with Jokie and we were off down the mountain again. The trip down was fast, fun and uneventful.

img_5149.jpg

Above is the Lesotho Border Post. Take  note of all the bags of coal.

img_5150.jpg

img_5151.jpg

I was not going to risk any ice. :eek:

img_5154.jpg

img_5155.jpg

img_5157.jpg

As usual the tar road home, after an exciting day out, is fairly dull and mind numbing, however, it does give one time to reflect how fortunate we are to be living in the Midlands where we have the likes of Sani Pass and other wonderful venues to visit within a days ride of home.
Till next time CHEERS.