A Soutie in Pretoria

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatguyinza

Puppy
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm John.

I live in Pretoria with my wife and 8 months old daughter, but I hail from East London in the beautiful Eastern Cape.

I have been a lurker for quite some time, mostly because I don't have an adventure/offroad bike. I have stopped being a lurker for a few reasons, some of which I'll explain now.

Firstly, I have really enjoyed reading the posts here on Wild Dogs, there seems to be a sense of community and a respect for each other that I have seen missing on a large number of forums I've been a part of in the past. There's a great balance between leg pulling, nonsense talking and genuinely helpful advice and opinions.

Secondly, I've stopped lurking because I would like to ask for some advice and possible help. I work for a non-profit organisation based in Mamelodi, call AIDS Hope, which runs a centre called Meetse A Bophelo that aims to address the impact of HIV/AIDS on the children of Mamelodi. I have recently taken up the position of Early Childhood Development (ECD) facilitator and am managing a partnership with JAM South Africa to feed between 900 and 2500 0 - 6 year olds in Mamelodi. I am required to raise all the finances/resources to do my work, as all positions in the organisation are non-salaried.

With that in mind I have a question and request:

Type of bike?:
I am looking to get a motorcycle to do weekly ECD centre visits and monitoring to ensure the nutritional feeding is being implemented correctly. This bike would need to be able to do about 50/50 on/offroad. Offroad it would need to handle that works - sand/mud/rocks - the worsts conditions one might expect in a township. Onroad would be mostly urban commuting, but the bike would need to be comfortable doing highway riding every now and then, with a long trip (possibly multiple country) fundraiser once a year/two years.

KLR650, F650GS, DR650 immediately come to mind, but are there any other options I don't know about and should consider.

A big request:
I don't have the means to fund this bike.

Does anyone know of individuals or businesses who may be interested in a partial sponsorship of a bike?

Branding on the bike/websites/newsletters/social media would be possible. I realise this is a big request, but I have learnt that you don't get if you don't ask.

Thanks again for allowing me to be a part of Wild Dogs. I look forward to continue being informed and entertained by the community. Oh, and do ride a motorcycle... currently I own a Motomia Enzo 150cc (previously a Virago 400, before that a GN125)

Lekker dag  :thumleft:

John Benn
(n Soutie in Pretoria)