• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

AFRICA TWIN riders: RD04 and RD07 - UPDATED new pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifua

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Some of you may already have heard of the metal cockpit plates that were sold on Ebay etc. Was a plate that fits around your clocks to cover the gap behind your fairing. They had designs for all models (RD04 with tripmaster; RD04 without tripmaster and all the RD07 models. All AT models from 1990 to 2003 are covered. Made of 3mm alluminium, laser cut and supplied in bare metal so you can paint it the colour of your bike or choice. Options even existed to get additional slots cut to allow for customizing around GPS and aux power points depending on customer requirements etc.

Anyway I wanted to get one for myself but turns out the factory no longer exists. I got hold of the owner and while he is not prepared to reopen the factory he has offered to sell me the designs, rights, templates etc for these so I can manufacture my own locally. We are still discussing prices as he wants to be paid in Euro's :-( but what I want to find out is if there are any Africa Twin riders out there would consider purchasing one of these plates. I still need to look at cost to manufacture locally (materials, laser time etc). Although the AT is no longer in production I think that this is a very useful accessory for the AT and one that can still find a market. I know internationally there is still a great deal of interest in this product so before I mortgage my soul, I want to see the interest locally to at least cover costs if it doesnt go further than that. Please could I get a 'show of hands' by email to [email protected] from any AT riders that would consider fitting one of these to their bikes. If any of you have expereince with laser cutting etc please also let me know so I can gt some advice on costing etc.

Thanks
Tifua

Attachments

• plate_stock.jpg
    plate_stock.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 391