• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Africa Twin XRV750 1996 Africa proof!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkhelmet

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Africa Twin XRV750T RD07A
Year: 1996
Mileage: above 90.000km

I used the bike for my southern Africa roadtrip in 2011. Before my trip the bike had some heavy maintenance. All parts that needed attention. The bike developed a camchain rattle, so took it apart. One camchain tensioner was stuck. The other and chains where still good. Still replaced all camchaines and tensioners. Replaced rubbers, wiring, tubes, connectors which had degraded over the years.

The bike is registered on my name, in Port Shepstone. The bike parked in Pretoria at Carrots place. He’s so kind to host the bike. Unfortunately plans have changed and the next time I go back to SA, I won’t be able to ride the bike. So now the bike is for sale.

I myself live in the Netherlands, so won’t be able to show you the bike, but you can see it at Carrots place. Contact me for info about the bike and I can give you his cell.

Modifications & extra’s
• frame & bashplate powdercoated in black
• Twin headlight mod
• Seat redone with new foam and upholstering
• Touratech rearluggagerack with a big luggagemountingplate
• Touratech footpegs
• Touratech gearshifter
• Touratech perspex headlightprotector
• Touratech ‘cameltoe’ kickstandfoot
• Touratech handlebar risers
• Sideluggageracks
• SW-motech centerstand
• Renthal handlebar
• Acerbis handguards with winddeflectors
• Acerbis front fender
• MRA Vario touring screen
• Extra guard for frontframebeam above bashplate
• Radiatorguards
• Black powdercoated dashboardplate for nice finishing touch
• Leovinci exhaust with DB-killer
• Domino short gastube
• Venhill braided brakelines front and rear
• Braking front brakdiscs
• Motobatt battery (bulletproof top quality)
• Honda MOSFET rectifier/regulator with new wiring and waterproof connectors
• Mikuni vacuum fuelpump
• Metal chokenuts, standard are plastic and break easily
• Pipercross airfilter
• Smaller aftermarket indicators
• 12V cigarette lighter plug at handlebars
• Magnetic oil plug
• Hyperpro progressive springs in fork
• Wilbers rearshock with preload adjuster
• Heidenau K60 tyres

Extra’s with the bike:
• Brake pads
• New Inner tubes front and rear
• Airfilter cleaningset

General information:
Bike had it’s last service about 5.000km ago at Offroad Cycles in Pretoria. Rear shock was serviced, rear tyre was replaced. In between in Capetown it some additional maintenance was performed at SuperFoxi’s place. Checked output shaft and showed no play so bearings still good.

Mechanically the bike is good. I rode 22.000km through Africa without any noteworthy trouble or breakdown. Not even a puncture. I would do the same trip without hesitation with the same bike. I think i can say that this bike is Africa proof!  O0

Things not so perfect about the bike, what I can think of:
• Rear rim has been dented on one side in Zambia hitting a massive pothole. Not very noticeable at first glance
• No chain guard. Decided to remove it altogether. Had trouble with the flimsy soft aluminium mountings on the swingarm. No matter what i tried, the chain guard came loose every time. So took it off before it locked up the chain.
• Common clutch rattle. No problem, just a bit of noise running stationairy
• Some spokes have rust on them. Was advised to do nothing about them until necessary. Has been like that since i had the bike. Never a problem riding rough roads through Africa.
• SW-motech crashbars are mounted but one side is welded and bend. Dropped the bike at very slow speed in Lesotho. On the trip the bars snapped several times. Wasn’t impressed with the quality so doesn’t count as extra. Right side still ok.
• Front tyre has little thread left, but still ok to ride for a bit. Rear tyre about 5k old, still good for another 10k.
• The front fairing has some small cracks and scratches from the fall in Lesotho, but is still solid on the bike.
• The tripcomputer is functioning, but screen shows some small cracks from dried out plastics and the rubber of the buttons is a bit worn down.

As you probably can tell I love the bike, but it’s useless to me on the other side of the globe, so it has to go. Not in a hurry to sell.

Asking price  R32.000