Air lock in oil pump?Help please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARAMED

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Morning everyone...

So last night i decided to do an oil change and filter change on my XT,I have done this probably 20 times with no problems,but after draining the oil and the reservoir tank,then removing the filter,I replaced the filter and reseated all the drain plugs... Right now my bike takes a total oil volume of 2,3L,but the reservoir has a capacity of about 1,5L.... So you fill the oil tank right up and then remove the air venting screw on the top of the filter cover... Usually you can start the bike and after 10 strokes of the piston,oil wil come out of the vent and then the oil level will have dropped enough to add the remaining 700-800ml's required to get the correct oil ammount...

THE PROBLEM?
Well after 25seconds of running the oil still had not come out the air vent,as you can imagine I was perplexed and more than a little skrikked as the engine had not primed with oil and the level in the oil tank was exactly the same......F&ck!!

I then thought that mabe I could prime the oil filter using a syringe and adding small ammounts of oil into the vent hoping gravity will the allow the oil to slowly soak down into the bottom of the engine and prime the oil pump pick up..... I mabe got 200ml of oil in there slowly and left it over night to soak....

Now I have tried briefly again and the oil level in the tank did not drop at all??
The engine is sounding very dry and am nervous to swing her again....

What say you lot about this and how can I bleed the oil circuit if it is even possible?

Thanks all.
B