Alu Panniers - Yay or Nay??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 600 Z
Hi Everyone

I can get a set of Touratech Alu Panniers at a really good Price for the old 1100 G/S.......BUT have actually decided to keep on using my Enduristan bags that I have on the old XT, also on the GS. They're a perfect fit on both bikes, by the way.
Those Touratech's just look SO nice, I'm really tempted in taking them.
I have the folloeing issues though:
1) In a fall, they MAY offer some protection, I'm not too convinced, but what worries me is a foot or something getting stuck in them.....might be a problem?? I actually had a small little fall on the GS yesterday afternoon (fokken boerboel chasing me), and apart from my ego, NO damage. If I fell off with those hard boxes, (maybe) a lower leg/foot could have been stuck.....??
2) Taking above example again, the left side box would have definitely had damage.......soft bags not
3) The Alu panniers are definitely more secure (they can be locked), and I would LOVE to pack in them, MUCH less digging, and everything is in its place
4) Alu's are easier to take off than the softies.......BUT then I always have that frames on the Bike......AND its not as if the softies are THAT much more trouble to take off at a campsite.?? Still. as above, I'd LOVE to have the "tidyness" of packed stuff that the hard panniers will offer.
5) Alu's have more packing space than the softies.....although I think this can actually be a bad thing, the more space = more stuff = more weight and more digging?
6) Perhaps my BIGGEST "drawback" on buying this - I dont want 2 "sets" of luggage. The Enduristans are always neatly packed, they fit perfectly on both Bikes. If I have these alu jobbies, I'd have to pack every time for every bike when going on a Trippie.

OR IS THE TOURATECH PANNIERS WAY TO GO, am I just writing this Thesis unnecessarily, should I go for it??

Thanks