Aluminium corrosion - AaaaaaaaaaAAaargh!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi guys,

I am an IDIOT! I took the race bike (ZXR400SP) for a practice day 3 weeks ago. When I got back home it was dark and I just put it under the house. Everything was working well so I never looked at it. I am racing tomorrow, so today I went down to load it into the van, and discover the left hand side of the swingarms and lower frame is black, with powdery white crap all over it. I must have boiled the bloody battery during the last session and in my haste to pack up I never even noticed it. Now the bike has been sitting with battery acid all over it and it has turned my aluminium black. FARK! :evil: Even my chain is looking a shade rusty and has weird powdery growths all over it.

I don't have time to frig around with it before racing, so I have just sprayed pretty much everything except the brakes and tyres with lanolin. The question is: When I get back from the race meeting, how the bloody hell do I get all this black corrosive fungusy looking crud off my bike :?:

Why oh why did I not wash it the day after racing like I normally do :oops: ?