An old man's journey to the Cape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooikat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR500
At last I've reached the stage where my solo trip to the Cape has been finalised - well, more or less!

28 Feb        Pta - Zeerust, sleepover at Koos's, my trucking friend of many year's standing
29 Feb        Kenhardt, camp
1-4 Mar       Elands Bay. Accommodation with friends flying in from Pta for the Kreef
                   festival, Lambert's bay
4-7 Mar       Eendekuil, camp, Sederberg
8 Mar          Calitzdorp, (Boplaas cape White Port!!!)  ??
9-14 Mar     Vleesbaai, Stay with Deon (we've been friends for at least 40 yrs), do Die Hel
                  with him in his bakkie (he doesn't drive any more)
15 Mar        Baviaanskloof, camp [size=10pt]Uitspan[/size] - fixed
16 Mar        jupiter
17-18 Mar   Rietvlei, Cradock (my cousin, Ludwig) ???
20 Mar        Pta

I am hesitant about Baviaanskloof, as I will be using my daughter's Xcountry. If I drop it in a river, that will be a major catastrophe. I would prefer going on the XL, but my daughter has major reservations about its reliability! But at least I can pick it up unaided!

On Friday night, I left the Xcountry parked on the lawn. It rained during the night, and on Saturday I found it had buried the sidestand! No hope of getting it upright. I dug out a winch, attached it to a tree, and eventually got it upright after first having to dismantle the winch and repair it.
Hence the reservations about lifting this heap of Austrian pig iron on my own.

Edit: Replaced map with update.

I haven't been able to contact my cousin Ludwig, his wife  or his brother's widow in Pta. Worrying. This may change my itinerary after Baviaans.

Also have problems with my extracted tooth, but this won't change things.

Attachments

• Xcountry ready-791.jpg
    Xcountry ready-791.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 319
  • Xcountry unready-794.jpg
    Xcountry unready-794.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Cape-trip-1 copy.jpg
    Cape-trip-1 copy.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 245