And another My Projects Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Seeing that this kind of threads are the latest trend her on the forum I've decided that I'll also start one.

First I would like to thank people like Kobus, Namakwalander, Gérrard etc for the motivation and inspiration to do more at home and to start a thread like this. :pot:

I grew up in the boland and my father was a plantation manager (Bosbouer), so basically I'm a plaas japie if "farming" with pine trees  classify as farming  ;). From a young age I was always busy in the garage either building or dismantling something, this is probably the reason why my parents sent me to a technical school so that I can learn to put all the stuff that I took apart together again  ::). My dad is also the DIY kind of man and according to him he have two boys to help him with task. So from a very young age we were put to "slavery" and had to help with mowing the lawn painting the house and all those type of jobs. Today I'm very grateful for this. I often ask myself how did I end up at a desk job sitting 9 hours in front of a computer. I find keeping myself busy with little projects to be relaxing and therapeutic. I can't even remember the last time I switched on my home computer, except for planning rides  ::).

So in April my girlfriend and I decided to bite the bullet and we bought a house together. We were gatvol of renting and paying somebody else's bond for them. It also frustrated me that I couldn't do anything at the house to make our living more comfortable. All of you are probably aware that most of the ime there is a lot to do when moving into a new house.

After buying the house first priority was to get water tanks and to connect them, seeing that we are experiencing water restrictions in Cape Town. Being on a rather tight budget I decided to build my own First flush diverters. I was limited with space, so I could put down a proper foundation/base for the tanks to stand on, but the paving seemed level enough.

In front of the house is a 10m x 6m carport with no gutter on it. Obviously I had to put a cutter on in order to catch and divert the water to the tank. Some rain came down shorty after I fitted the gutter and I was pleased to see that the gutter did it's job.

Attachments

• geut_2.jpg
    geut_2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 479
  • geut_3.jpg
    geut_3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 478
  • geut_4.jpg
    geut_4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 479
  • geut_5.jpg
    geut_5.jpg