Another "what bike?" question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeeBs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR500
Hi guys, help a new guy out please.

Been about 20yrs since I was last on a bike and now the itch is back. I'm a big guy 6ft 120kgs, so I need something tallish, also I'm not looking for a superbike because I'm not a speed freak and to be honest I can't fit on those things anymore!

Right! So I was originally looking at an XR650 / 600 as I really want to Bundu bash and take an occasional trip around the neighbourhood. Then I stopped and had a look at a KLX450R....and now I'm struggling to decide what type of bike I want.

OK the KLX I had a look at was street legal (only just - the smallest indicators, mirrors etc) just enough to make it roadworthy without compromising the Moto X roots.
I particularly like this as I live in a town house complex and I don't have the space for a trailer and all the other goodies needed for a straight off-road bike.

Is this a good choice? Are there other street legal MX style bikes I should consider? I've also checked an older model KTM LC4 but I believe KTM's are a little steep to maintain.

Also I'd like to take part in the Quads for quads JHB to Durbs ride next year.

Thanks
gents, really need a push in the right direction here.