ARAI TourX4 Evaluation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gryshond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So a few weeks ago I bought myself the ARAI TourX4. You  get it in many colours but I picked the Mission Black. This is not a cheap helmet, but then good things cost more.

I tried the Uvex which looks to be a nice helmet, don't know if its just me but the crown lining runs right accross my ears and starts irritating me as soon as I put it on.

I also tried the Xlite because it looks really good. It is quite pricey though and I did not think it felt good enough to justify a price so close to that of the ARAI.

On the budget side I tried Airoh and I have an ARC. These helmet manufacturers clearly do not have the R&D budget of the bigger names. They are considerably less stable, even on the GS which has good wind protection and at speed will set up a kind of vibration that is really irritating. Cross winds are especially troubling as they will try to wring your neck. The peak also bobbles which is pretty irritating as it is in your line of sight.

I have now ridden at all speeds on various roads and in various conditions, including a serious thunderstorm the other day. The ARAI is stable as hell, I hear one of the reasons is that it has a more rounded construction which smooths out the departing airflow which helps with stability and noise. Of course you can not expect an adventure helmet to be as quiet as a road helmet, but I am impressed with the noise levels on the ARAI. I can speak on the phone at highway speeds and can still hear my music on the crappy scala at 180 to 200 (note the GS does have good wind protection).

Where the ARAI really shines though is in features. The airflow possibilities are quite extensive. In addition to the usual vents, the ARAI adds vents in the visor to cool your forehead and pass more air over your head. The visor also locks in the closed position which is great, helmets that don't have this rely on the visor mounts to keep the visor closed and after a while the fully closed position is not completely closed anymore. Then there is the pinlock insert system, this works a treat. It prevents the visor misting up and you can have a clear one or various shadings right up to a dark one.

I am very happy with the quality, comfort and features of the ARAI TourX4. Also buying a proper helmet means you can get replacement parts for anything from visor, peak, lining, pinlocks etc. Someone told me you can not replace the neck portion of the lining but this is incorrect. You can replace it and everything else on the helmet. I already had to test this out as I manage to break one of the pinlocks when putting in the insert without turning them into the right position (RTFM). I easily got a replacement.

To put it simply, you can get from A to B with a Jonway Scooter and if that is your budget it is better than walking.
In the same way you can protect your head with a budget helmet and it is better than nothing. However if you can afford it, go for a decent helmet and in the adventure helmet range I think the ARAI is the best.