Atlantis Ride April 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rynet

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have been asked to put a few fotos up of our Atlantis Ride in April 2011. Superfoxi ( AT), Grego ( Honda XR500), and Airhead and I met at Melkbos at about 9 and left at about 9,30 . As we entered the twee spoor I really struggled , the sand was very soft. It started to rain near the end and we only got to the dunes at 11 am. What a struggle.  The 1200 kept getting stuck and I kept falling. It was very disheartening. By the time we got to the dunes it started raining , I did not have my rainsuit on ( only put it on at the dunes ) , was too hot to put it on earlier but ended up wet to the skin. Arriving at the dunes I was miserable , unusual for a me to be so disheartened on a ride . as dreading going back on the twee spoor . Airhead had a flat tyre as he arrived and spent almost an hour fixing it.  Not nice for him. After a while I started relaxing and enjoyed some easier loops on the dunes . Was surprised at how easy the dunes were in comparison with the twee spoor. But of course it had started to drizzle then so the sand was harder. But still I found I had learned a lot just from the morning's struggle.

Going back I struggled the first bit as it was very soft and rutted , but after that Super foxi and I figured how to ride very soft sand when you struggle to pull away. He said , just ride the bike like a car , and that worked wonders. So I pulled away in 2nd gear still but very lightly , just above stalling and that worked. This letting go off the clutch and revving it high didn't work for my bike at all in those conditions . Still learning that all sand is different. Then I really felt great as suddenly clicked how to ride it , so up with my learning curve. Started "surfing" and not fighting the sand, and felt a great sense of achievement . Got my smile back :thumleft: The guys were tired then , from helping me so much. Greg rode very well , but then he had the perfect bike for the sand . :thumleft:eek:

Thanks guys that was quite a day ! Was exhausted for days afterwards, but it was a fun exciting day . Thanks for all the help picking up the tractor and helping push .  :3some: I just reminded them that BlueBull says pushing bikes helps you to get fit for the DAKAR   :laughing4:

What a lekker lekker day  :3some:

THet other 3 was wet as it had rained out Noordhoek way coming in ,and also going back! they must have been wet for 9 hours. I was wet for 7 hours which is bad enough  :p

Attachments

• Atlantis April 11 023 [640x480].jpg
    Atlantis April 11 023 [640x480].jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 349
  • Atlantis April 11 024 [640x480].jpg
    Atlantis April 11 024 [640x480].jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Atlantis April 11 031 [640x480].jpg
    Atlantis April 11 031 [640x480].jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 345
  • Atlantis April 11 020 [640x480].jpg
    Atlantis April 11 020 [640x480].jpg