August long weekend in Nelsruit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katools 11

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi Guys,

We are going to visit family in Nelspruit for the long weekend.
I am taking this opportunity to tag the beast along and do a little trip maybe the Sunday (07 August) or preferably the Monday (08 August).

I am very familiar with the stunning Lydenburg-Sabie-Hazyview roads (Longtom ++). I have only done them by car as I travel to the area often for work, I will be planning a three/four day trip at a later time round these parts (can honestly not wait).

I have been to Barberton just once by car and have been very interested trying to head up the pass from Barberton to the Swazi Border, unfortunately I have not been able to do it as my time in the area was very limited.
I've google earthed the crap out of it and honestly cant tell you how keen I am to go there with the bike :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

From the border I will be heading back about halfway down where I discovered a gravel turn off to a dam called Shiyalongubodam, this route travels almost along the border lines of Swazi thru what seems to be called the highlands valley.

This route then will be followed all the way past Louieville to Louw's Creek, from there it is tar back to Noordkaap where I'm planning on brunch/lunch and a cold beer at a placed called Diggers Inn.

After a cold one or two I want to head back to the R40 via gravel road (found a little section of +- 15km cutting thru the valleys) The turn off from the R40 reads "Noordkaap".

From there its back to Nelsruit unfortunately all the way via tar (R40)

I will plot the trip soon.

Her is a breakdown summary of the trip:

Meet at BP Sonpark Diensstasie 08:00AM

Depart BP Sonpark Diensstasie - Swazi Border : Tar via the R40, 80km and traveling time (no stops) 1h15min
From Border - gravel T/O (Shiyalongubodam) : Tar via R40, 30km and traveling time 30min
Gravel T/O - Shiyalongubodam : Gravel, 27km and traveling time 30min
Shiyalongubodam - Tar T/O (R38) : Gravel, 15km and traveling time 20min
Tar T/O - Noorkaap (Diggers inn) : Tar via R38, 25km and traveling time 25min
Diggers Inn - R40 T/O : Gravel, 15km traveling time 25min
R40 T/O - BP Sonpark Diensstasie : Tar via R40, 20 km and traveling time 20min

Total distance: 212km (+-60km Gravel)
This should take about 4hrs to complete with no stops.

So I recon if we leave at 08:00AM we should be back round 14:30PM

I am traveling with the misses more than likely hence the reason for all the tar :xxbah:

My question is who would like to join us and also is it safe and what is the roads like in the area, specially to the dam and so on?

Really looking for some company as I am not familiar with the routes.
If any dogs in the area has a better route or recommendation please let me know.
I am looking so forward to traveling in your stunning area.

Regards.