BAD SERVICE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangys

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So last weekend myself and Stroppy went down to Mpumalanga. On Friday the 6 March we left our camp in Sabie to ride to the Strijdom tunnel, returning to Sabie via the Blyde River Canyon, Burckes Luck.
Needless to say, the Versys broke down at the Strijdom tunnel. After some phone calls to Holeshot, the possible dianostic was the rectifier.
We obtained the number for Kawasaki Nelspruit and phoned them for possible recovery and repair. They could not help us, but gave me the number for an auto-electrician in Hoedspruit. The auto-electrician could not solve the problem on the bike, but did offer to recover the bike to Sabie.
R1220.00 later, myself and the Versys arrived at our camp at about 19;00.
I arranged with the Nelspruit Kawasaki dealership to recover the bike to their shop the following day.
Saturday the 7 March, the bike was taken to Nelspruit. Arriving at the shop, the battery was taken out and put on charge. I requested they remove the covers to see if there are not any chafed or split wires somewhere.
after much waiting, myself and Stroppy started to remove the covers and tank, maticously checking all the wires, they returned with the battery and installed it.
Myself and Stroppy carefully replaced the tank and covers. The happy button was pressed, voila, the Versys jumped to life.
The shop did not have a tester to test if the battery was charging, after much elaboration between the shop owner "Jackie" and her sales staff, a trip was made to the local midas to obtain such instrument. It was confirmed that the battery was not charging and that the regulator/rectifier has blown.
Oh, did I mention they had no bike mechanic? The owner and sales staff "took care" of the maintenance and serviceing as well. Needless to say, we needed to get back home. They suggested I purchase a second battery. I would then use the first battery until it dies, then install the second battery which will get us to JHB.
They assured me that this has been done before and that the new battery is fully charged.
We left Nelspruit at 13:00, we got about 34km out of Nelspruit with the first battery. Installed the second battery, guess what? dead as a doornail. Phoned my boet who came from JHB with a trailer to fetch us. Kawasaki Nelspruit was not willing to come out to help me again. Now hows that for service.?

So the saga continues...
Back in JHB, I started phoning around for a new regulator. I spoke to the parts section at Holeshot, Kawasaki dealer in Boksburg. Jason told me that he will phone me back with a price and stock availability later that morning.
I had to phone him back later that afternoon. He told me that there is no part for my bike available from Kawasaki SA, the waiting period for the part is 3-6 weeks.
He also said that he will speak to the owner of Holeshot, Alex, to see if he can maybe help with a spare from one of the bikes from the floor.
Once again, I had to phone him back on Tuesday afernoon to find out what is happening with my spare. I spoke to Alex, who told me they do a modification, and fit a generic rectifier with some new plugs and little wiring changes. Not wanting to modify my bike I started phoning around for a second hand rectifier.
Not finding one by Wednesday afternoon, I decided to take the bike in to Holeshot for the repair. The bike was booked inn, with a verbal quote from Alex of about R2200.00 including labour etc.
I accepted, Stroppy gave me a lift home on his Strom.
I also asked Alex to do a oil and oil filter change whilst the bike is in the shop.
On Thursday midday I phoned Holeshot and spoke to the service advisor to ascertain the progress with the Versys.
He told me that the repair has been done and that the bike is being washed.
I asked about the oil service, they did not do it. He assured me that it will be done before the end of the day.
Thursday afternoon I arranged with my wife to take me there so I can collect my bike.
When I arrived the oil service has still not being done, after much frustration I left holeshot without my bike.
Alex assured me that it will be ready Friday morning 10:00. I told him I will be working early that morning and will only collect the bike on Saturday.
Before I left the shop, I asked that they please phone me as soon as it is ready, as well of the cost.
No-one phoned me on Friday, I had to phone them again today.
when I asked about the cost, I was told an amount of R3700.00
Upon enquiry of the breakdown, I was told the following.
R1500.00 for rectifier
2 hours of labour
Full service
2 hours of labour
I never asked them to do a full service on the bike. They never phoned me to ask if they can do a full service.

I spoke to Alex who basically told me to get lost. I am not happy about the service i received. The funny thing is that Alex told me they never phone any client when they feel it is nessacary to service the bike.
They did not deem it neccesary to phone me since my spark plugs and filters was shot. He also told me that it seems to him that I am not looking after my bike.

I am collecting on Monday where I will continue my connversation with him.