Barberton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogless

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
It was again time for a trip. This time Barberton and the surrounding area was chosen to be explored. We decided to "rough" it and camp along the way, no B&B's this time round.

Day 1

The meeting point was at the Wimpy in Carolina. On my way there I saw my pants were wet (I have a fully functional bladder so I knew it was not me). At first I could not understand how it's possible as there was no rain or water on the road. I eyed my shocks and got a horrible fright…both seal were pissing oil! Oh boy…is this the end of my trip, a mere 200 km from home?  A few calls were made and soon I realized fixing it on a Saturday will not be possible. The stealers workshops ain't open over weekends. So plan B was accepted at the blink of an eye…I'll take the oil and dirt in my stride and carry on as planned.

Shortly after leaving Carolina on the R36 we left tar behind and cut through the hills above Badplaas to the R541. We past Vygeboom dam and turned north to Nkomati mine. You actually have to drive through 2 boom gates which are located on the public road and eventually link up with the N4 close to Ngodwana. From there it's twisty tar to Kaapsehoop for a few frosties. A possibility was to pitch tent in Kaapsehoop but the little town is better geared as a B&B. The camping spot is merely an open piece of veld next to the backpackers. If a car turns wide into town they will drive over you. This was to close to civilisation so we decided to press on to De Kaap Valley. Camping options were limited but with plenty of dirt roads in the area we decided to pull a disappearing act into da bush, magic!

A wonderful evening was spent under the stars with the nocturnal life the only "noise".

Pics
1. Cosmos
2. Reflection
3. Railway line
4. Bethal power station
5. "Wild Horses" (according to travel magazines all horses are nowadays wild)

Attachments

• img_8123.jpg
    img_8123.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_8124_resize.jpg
    IMG_8124_resize.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_8136_resize.JPG
    IMG_8136_resize.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_8138_resize.JPG
    IMG_8138_resize.JPG